Modding Home made laptop

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Funkyideas, 24 Jan 2003.

1. Funkyideas

Funkyideas What's a Dremel?

Currently I am working on a case design of my own, for a desktop computer. Though this is not presenting any challenges, so I've decided to build my own laptop but am having problems sourcing parts wondered whether anyone had done anything like this in the past, if so any input would be appriciated.

2. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Moved to modding.

3. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

For kit like CD/DVD ROMs, I'd try eBAY. Actually, you could buy an old knackered laptop off eBay and then strip out the workings.

4. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

the topic of sel built lappys has come up several times, and each time the conclusion of "too damn expensive" is usualy reached.

5. westeee

westeee What's a Dremel?

dont bother

just buy one

6. wdi.AkirA

wdi.AkirA What's a Dremel?

i ones saw one that made his owen laptop !! ill se if i can find it again !!

7. wdi.AkirA

wdi.AkirA What's a Dremel?

8. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

But surely thats just a desktop in a box! ;)

Getting cases, and motherboards for laptops is too much hassle, and expensive.

Most manufacturers make up there own "setups" so matching components will be a pain.

9. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Just to second what everyone already said. Manufacturers usually use proprietary connectors and components that even vary from model to model, never mind the different "series'" of laptops. If you wanna use laptop hardware for a mod then you'd be best getting a working laptop or one with a knackered screen and using the VGA connector. Then strip it down and do something PHUNKEH!

10. linear

linear Minimodder

To all the naysayers, I say "FOO!"

Dude, you have a dream, screw what everyone says. Go forth and make it real.

Now, here's a bit of concrete help. I was stolling along the information superparkinglot the other day, and I cam across this motherboard, and had a 'love at first sight' sort of experience. I think it would be ideal for a project like yours:
    http://www.lex.com.tw/lv866a.htm
    [​IMG]

There are some really compelling features of this board that make it ideal for your project (but maybe less so for a gamer box).

• Mini size LPX 220 x 190 mm
    • Supporting LCD Panel TTL TFT 32Bit interface includes VGA ,SVGA,XGA,SXGA+,UXGA,UXGA+ TFT color panels with 9Bit,12Bit,18Bit(both 1 pixel /clock and 2pixel/clock )and 24Bit interface.
    • Integrated Pro Savage 4 2D/3D Video Accelerator (AGP 4X)
    • Two IDE ports and One 2.0mm(44pin) IDE2 port
    • and it's low-profile, only one row of port connectors, and no HSF needed for the C3 chip on it.

You could conceivable use a salvaged laptop LCD because the controller is on board. That's huge. And it will take laptop HDDs natively. They even have a dinky power supply board for it. This thing has your name written on it. (and mine too). I've emailed the US distributer a couple days back on pricing/availability, but I haven't got an answer. :miffed: (unless it was that mail that was 100% in Japanese.) I'll let you know if anything comes back from them.

And welcome to the boards.

11. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

thats nice If I had any money I would throw it at you and bow at your feet... :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: That is teh sexehist mb Ive seen,, I even beats the pants off of my laptop MB.

How would you end up doing PCMCIA tho?

12. linear

linear Minimodder

13. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

im thinking uber-leet htpc .... im sure a 800Mhz c3 could handle divx and dvd with enuff ram thrown in it ... :rock:

14. RAM Z

RAM Z What's a Dremel?

Linear, whats the cost on that board?

I have a secret project that would fit perfectly into.

15. linear

linear Minimodder

16. RAM Z

RAM Z What's a Dremel?

Proof once again that smoking crack and reading Bit-Tech is not advised... :D

17. RAM Z

RAM Z What's a Dremel?

I'm planning a small format case. Almost the same size as your little little clear computer, Linear. But, I want mine to split in half with a lcd inside.

Making a true laptop would be very impressive. I want something small but I set my goals a little lower.

So a motherboard like that would fit my plans pefectly. I have the case already, I just need the parts to fit inside.

18. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

This thing has the making for a nearly "real sized" laptop. Perhaps much the same as the 19" cinema display Apple G4 Ti laptop that I saw. but only with a tiny display...

things to figure out:

Battery power...
    PCMCIA (done)
    Keyboard
    building the actual case.

Id love to see it linear.......

GO you...

19. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

20. Funkyideas

Funkyideas What's a Dremel?

What we've got ?

Right so we've got the motherboard, the motherboards running a C3 800MHz, not bad to start off with, problem is that I do alot of CAD, so looking for something with some real guts to it, not to harsh a graphics card something that has good OPEN GL, like the Matrox cards. We have PCMCIA kinda sorted. We also within reason have either a LCD or TFT by modding a destop one. CDRW/DVD are easy enough to find along with harddrives.

Things I'm still after to make this really feasable:-

Pressure Pad Key board.
    PAD mouse.
    USB
    Firewire
    Graphics cards that would fit a laptop type case, or a high power motherboard in the region of 2GHz, with an in built nVida Graphics Chip, 64 Mb miniumum really.

Does anyone have any info on the new chips coming out and there boards that are going to be available.

If it on one off the other forums point me in the right direction and I will have a look.

Thanks guy this has been a big help in try to get started on this.

Funkyideas