1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommendations for a new phone

Discussion in 'General' started by Showerhead, 5 Oct 2010.

1. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Needing a mew phone as the one that I inherited from my sister has broken and was burning a hole in my pocket almost literally judging by the temperature it was at.

Asking for recommendations for a new phone as it's an area I know very little about. Have a budget of £150 pounds if it's PAYG and ~£15 if on monthly

2. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

wonder how many times the iphone will be suggested regardless of your budget.

i like the LG touchscreen phones, i have an older one and its a bit sluggish but the new ones are nippier

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Well, anything Nokia tends to be good.. I have a 5800 and it's pretty ace. I friend of mine has the 5230 (which is considerably cheaper) and apart from the camera there's not much to set it apart. They're also very good MP3 players, I use mine as one rather than buying a dedicated MP3 player.

The 5800 is just over budget here: http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/...Touch-Screen-Mobile-Phone-Chrome/Product.html which means that the 5230 will be easy to find under £150.

If you don't want a touchscreen then I'm at a loss, I haven't kept up with hardware keyboard phones at all.

4. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

A friend of mine got the BB 9700 Bold for 15 quid a month and possibly some up front fee. He said its about half the price of the iPhone 4 which was 100 quid up front and 30 a month.

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Shop around and you can get the HTC Wildfire for less than £150. Essentially a smaller version of HTC Desire, the Wildfire has a 528MHz Qualcomm CPU, 3.2" capacitive LCD, 384MB RAM, 5MP camera, GPS, Wifi, running Eclair (Android 2.1). Had a go myself in the O2 store and was impressed, but am now too tempted by the new HTC Desire HD :D

6. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

If you decide to go down the nokia route I have a 5530 sat here now unused. It's similar to the 5800 just without the pull out keyboard.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Try a HTC wildfire at £15 a month and a damn good little phone android based

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

You can get the LG GT540 that is now on 2.1 android for £12 a month at the carphone warehouse.
    Better spec than the Wildfire, but not as well made, and is resistive

9. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

It depends what you want really. If you wan an all-singing, all-dancing smartphone then you will have to compromise somewhere for that budget. Usually by buying a phone without wifi or one with a less-than-perfect build quality. In that category I'd be tempted by the HTC Wildfire, perhaps the only compromise being a sub-par display IME. The Blackberry Curve 8520 can be had for £120-£150 new as well, and is just as good as a full-fat Blackberry except no 3G. You do get wifi though, and the knowledge that you're rocking a Crackberry!

If you only want calls and texts (and a few extras) then the Nokia 6700 is a wonderful device, whilst something like a Samsung Monte is a nice halfway house, with a touchscreen, GPS and wifi.

10. Darv

Darv Bling!!

The Orange San Francisco is a bargain at under £100. Meant to be a pretty good phone too, especially for the money. Another Android phone (2.1) so pretty high end as well.

11. tj010480

tj010480 What's a Dremel?

Again depending on what you want the phone for, if your looking for a decent walkman and camera I've always gone for Sony Ericsson, great sound (and picture) quality. Plus the battery life is immense too, lasts ages and charges in less than a couple of hours. Currently using W995 and my previous phone was C902.

12. October

October Mariachi Style

Clicky

Dibs is taken but you never know!

13. Sanzy

Sanzy Minimodder

The Orange San Francisco

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Got to back up the 5800 here, but the Wi-fi and GPS make it worth the purchase. The interface can be a little slow at times, but the other features make up for that.

+1 on its MP3 player, its got a good amp so with some decent phones you can easily listen to music or the radio.