1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple New iPhone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kenco_uk, 8 Oct 2010.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

http://www.t3.com/news/apple-iphone...l=email-n&ns_source=t3&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/10/08/verizon-wireless-new-iphone-5-and-ipad-2-release/

iPhone 5 or iPhone 4 refresh?

Makes sense to change the form factor. I don't think there's a lot to change hardware-wise, for what the iPhone is. Maybe a higher MP camera.

Hopefully the release of the iPad 2 should drive down the cost of the original. £429 for the very basic model is about £60 too much, for a start. Considering the cost of a Wits A81E ($199 for a nearly comparable Android-based tablet), you're paying through the nose for the capacative screen and the OS of the iPad.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Every time I hear about the next apple product it just reminds me of this Oatmeal comic.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

Just as there's enough produced for everyone that wants one to get one, they release another!!

I like the idea of the ipad, I just cringe about the thought of paying that much for what will be essentially slower and more crippled than the netbook I paid a lot less for!!

JaredC01 likes this.
  3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My suspicion is the potential new form factor of the iPhone will be a slightly larger screen, such as 4.3inch.

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

It'll just be the verzion version with a revised antenna

5. Bing

Bing Every day is a learning day!

You obviously don't own an iPad then. If you get one, you'll get it :thumb:

It's far from slow and does what it's supposed to do very well. Don't forget, it's not trying to be a netbook or a personal computer. It is what it is, an iPad.

While I disagree with Apple's business ethics in most cases, I'm a huge fan of their design, simplicity and creativity. They're class leaders in pretty much every field, although Android is going to be a huge threat to the iPhone next year.

6. Siberdine

Siberdine Safety Not Guaranteed.

My family owns an Ipad, and I really don't like it. The only semi-useful apps that I can think of on the ipad are VLC player, Safari, and Youtube. Have you seen the commercials? Who the hell wants a Science app? That won't help you learn, it's just pretty colours and stuff. And there are plenty more games on Ipod Touch/Iphone than there are on Ipad anyways. And it's not worth paying £430-£700 for an ebook/online magazine/ internet browser.

If it were my money, I'd rather have a good netbook.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2010
  7. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

At the risk of starting another apple debate I'm not really sure how they are class leaders in pretty much every field. I guess they sell the most of any kind of mp3 player (and probably tablets?) but apart from that they don't sell the most computers or phones do they? :confused:

8. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

In terms of profitability, they are class leaders. They are also the worlds second largest company by market capitalisation. Only Exxon Mobil is larger.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what i thought.

possibly a hard plastic with internal antena version.

will be zero hardware change since that's now how Apple does business, a refresh every year.

10. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Fair enough

11. Sanzy

Sanzy Minimodder

I think its just going to have a few minor changes such as support for verizon and a slight change in design to fix the antenna problem.

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The ipad is intended as a portable device for accessing the internet and for mobile entertainment.

I have a netbook, which performs all of this.

With a 250gb hard drive and a FULL operating system.

And I can even use flash :clap:

13. Bing

Bing Every day is a learning day!

It's horses for courses at the end of the day. Personally, I prefer the asthetics of the ipad over a netbook, as well as the longer battery life for journeys. OK, it doesn't have a 250GB hard drive, but I've got the 64GB with 3G so I've got data on the move anywhere in the world and a larger, better quality touchscreen display - but lets not get into a fan fuelled debate. They only end in horrible places. It's better to sum it up as a matter of personal choice, much like the car you drive - there is no right or wrong.

There's a great article here:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/01/28/apple_ipad_vs_netbooks/

But the closing paragraph leaves interesting thoughts:

"But netbooks' future is limited. They'll get touchscreens, and Windows will get better at working with touch control, and then they'll become Tablet PCs before finally morphing into keyboard-less devices like... the iPad."

.... and I don't think they're wrong. Look at the response to the iPad. Blackberry have gone on board, Google... other major brands too. All looking towards a tablet-saturated future without keyboards.

Me? I'm glad I made the choice now, and that's all that matters :thumb:

14. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff What's a Dremel?

I look forward to the inclusion of LTE in the next version