1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Fix a mouse button

Discussion in 'Modding' started by project90, 27 Aug 2010.

1. project90

project90 What's a Dremel?

hi guys, just wondering if any 1 has any know how on how to replace the actual switch in a mouse for the right mouse button?

mine has stopped working i have bought new mouse but was gonna see if it was worth it to try fix to keep as spare.

the mouse is the logitech g5 and the part number is D2FC-F7N, there was a replacement switch on ebay well a pair for $5 but was wondering if they are soldered in or just pushed in.

thanks any info will be appreciated

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

They'll be soldered in. Tear it apart and have a look. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I have extensive experience in repairing Logitech G5 mice, in particular the microswitches that often go faulty in them. The switches are soldered onto the board, and are not accessible unless you desolder the PCB "sandwich" consisting of two PCBs connected with a soldered jumper, then solder them back together again. It can be done, and I have fixed countless G5's with exactly the same problem to date. I have tutorial pictures around here somewhere. I'll post them for you if I can find them, but failing that just open it up and have a go. If you have any soldering experience combined with experience at fixing things, it should be no problem for you to open the mouse, repair the damage and put it back together again.

4. project90

project90 What's a Dremel?

just to add in guys i tried and failed musta been the circuit board cos the new switch never done a thing, shame to throw it away but gota go if its bust :D

5. October

October Mariachi Style

Get a G500! Best possible replacement if you loved your G5 (which you obviously you did, given that you owned one).

6. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Digikey is your friend

Digikey is an extremely good electronic components company, I'm pretty sure you could find it for less than a dollar, it's just a matter of being able to find it in the huge inventory they have.

Edit:

I found the switch your looking for on Digikey, Here It's not the exact same part number, but its the same dimensions, layout, and push force. I also read somewhere that other people have replaced the other switch with this model and been met with success.

They are $1.33 each, or $0.956 each if you want to buy over 100 of them :naughty:

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I tried that and failed miserably. I killed 3 510's and 2 518's because of those crappy buttons

8. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

The left mouse button on my logitech has played up a couple of times over the last few years.

When it starts to play up, I open her up, open the switch, clean the contacts by gently scraping them with a knife, and reassemble = works as good as new for another year or two, depending on much I left click.