Other Alibaba For PC Bits?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4D1, 10 Nov 2010.

1. 4D1

4D1 What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to procure the bits to build my own PC over the coming months. I am looking at an ASUS Rampage III Extreme Mobo, with a Intel i7 950 processor as the first stage, however I thought I would have a quick look at Alibaba to see what kind of price they are in China, in the UK its around £300 for the Mobo and just over £200 for the processor, on Alibaba I can get 2 of the Mobo's for £199.00 and the processor for about £150-£200. My question is has anyone ever bought stuff from Alibaba and can it be trusted to be genuine? Obviously at this price I am extremely tempted to throw caution to the wind, the seller on Alibaba is a gold seller. Also is there anything to bare in mind like will a foreighn mobo be a different voltage or something, will it be compatible with a UK spec PSU??

Thanks

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The golden rule of the internet applies - "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

Motherboards will be no different anywhere in the world, it's a universal spec.

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Yeah, I know people who have bought from alibaba. The stuff took 3 months to arrive. Still as Krikkit said, that does sound too good to be true.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I've posted before about this...

Alibaba is a legit site, it was setup to link suppliers to trade buyers. Haven't you seen the TV adverts?

However, this does not mean that all the advertisers are legit. Think Ebay here but with riskier clawback options - caveat emptor.

5. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

Don't forget UK tax??? 4D1

Apophis54 likes this.
  6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Look deep inside your soul. And add on +20% VAT and more shipping.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

And what happens if you need to RMA something?

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Even if they are legit think of the import VAT trust me that could be a real shock LOL

Apophis54 likes this.
  9. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

When you add import tax and shipping the price is about the same.

Apophis54 likes this.
  10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

more to the point is just get a different board as the rampage is overpriced and cheaper boards are just as good.

11. 4D1

4D1 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the responses, did a bit of research and turns out they (This particular seller fingers66) might not be legit, VAT is not an issue I am VAT registered so I would just claim it back, and the seller was advising free shipping if I took a few of each. I think I will give it a miss though, Alibaba themselves state that you are not guaranteed to be safe even with a gold seller and they offer no protection whatsoever if you are scammed.