1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows I've never played Call of Duty...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mooseguy, 14 Nov 2010.

1. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

...but I'd quite like to. Where should I start? Should I get Black Ops, or is MW2 the better game? Or should I just stick with CoD 4, before it was seemingly screwed over?

Thanks for any advice.

2. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

Not sure if you have an Xbox or not so ill post both.

PC: CoD4 is brilliant. Mods and dedicated servers the way PC gaming is meant to be.
    WaW: not sure.
    MW2: horrible horrible horrible game on the PC. no dedicated servers and hackers literally everywhere.
    Black Ops: good on the pc, some annoying things that need patched. a lot of people have issues with lag on it though as it seems to have memory leaks and a bit of bad programming.

Xbox: CoD4 not as fun as PC but still good.
    WaW: boring
    MW2: good and bad. everyone uses a sniper.
    Black Ops: a lot better than any CoD game to date on the Xbox.

conclusion? on PC get CoD4 and Black Ops imo
    on Xbox (if you even have one) get Black Ops

3. October

October Mariachi Style

Start with 1 :thumb: Or at the very least 2, which is possibly the pinnacle of the series. And then Modern Warfare. Those three are all you really need, multiplayer in World at War's decent if you want WWII but also leveling.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Call of Duty United Offensive is where to go :) best fun you will have with a mouse and keyboard in a long time.

CoD 1 was great, United Offensive was amazing, CoD 2 was a waste of time, MW 1 was damned good fun, World at War was pretty OK, and MW 2 was just meh.

5. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

This thread just shows it takes all sorts!

COD and United Offensive, while looking their age, are still big on gameplay.

COD 2 is my absolute favourite.

World At War is a visual treat. Especially if you like flamethrowers.

COD MW is great too.

I haven't played MW 2 or Black Ops, so no comment on those.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

COD 1, UO and 2 are good games, but i assume the remaining players are quite hardcore with lots of experience so you'll get your arse handed to you a few too many times before you learn how to play.
    COD3 is horrible, steer clear of it.
    COD4 is one of the most polished and fluent multiplayer experiences out there, and the singleplayer is excellent, if a bit too short.
    COD5 is just meh, also it has vehicles in multiplayer.
    MW2 is infested with frustrating exploits on consoles, hacking on PC, and there are no dedicated servers.
    Black Ops is excellent so far, the next best thing after COD4 if you're not one of the unfortunate players who suffer from performance issues (will be patched soon).

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

1 & 2 were good games. In all honesty I can't stand the rest of them for longer than 30 min play once a week on Modern Warfare..

8. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Thanks from the input! I think I'll be picking up CoD 1 and UO from Amazon for cheaps, and CoD 4 of Steam by the looks of it. Maybe Black Ops when some of the bugs are ironed out.

9. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

I can honestly say, if there ever was a game that you could mostly sleep through while playing, it would be WaW... CoD1 + UO was epic tho :top:

10. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

COD4 is so good, it's almost unreal. It's also unreal how it's never in Steam sales.

11. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

aaaaaaah the nostalgia, i wonder what Nemon plays these days!

12. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

COD2 is my favourite followed by COD4. Haven't played MW2 or Black Ops so can't comment on them.

13. murraynt

murraynt Modder

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

My favourite was World At War, but I do tend to prefer stuff set around WWII.

15. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

CoD4 is fantastic
    MW2 is a fail
    BlackOps is epic... but if it stopped using lady scented body washes and switched to Old Spice it could smell like it's CoD4

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Ahh the memories, Storms server :)

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

as FPS game, ALWAYS get it for PC.

get CoD 1, it was brilliant at its time.
    get CoD 2, brilliant, and introduced AI callout system that calls out enemy position.
    get CoD 2 United Offense, one of the best.
    get CoD 4 MW, best modern warfare.
    and forget about World at War, it's frustrating in singleplayer, and multiplayer is eclipsed by Blops.
    and get MW2 for well done single player that is a joy to play.
    finally, get Black Ops for multiplayer. its singleplayer although well told, missions are frustrating as hell.

although i've find far too many people just spraying on Blops. it seems the guns are way too accurate without any need to aim-down-sight. i have a habit of aiming when shooting (from many hours on BFBC2), and often get out-runed and out-turned by those spraying. this is consolification, and noobification.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2010
  18. thegoody

thegoody What's a Dremel?

I've found campaign mode for both MW1 & 2 to be pretty weak, I wasn't impressed. World at War and the older ones are much better for single player. If you're looking for Multiplayer though both MW games are very good, spent a lot of time playing those!! Not played black ops though so no idea on that, not a bad series though really!

19. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

If you like shooters and online gaming then most of the later CODs should be a good bet. That said I hated the story in MW2 (there was no story, just a few missions put together) and traded it in for a £13 profit a week later!

COD 4 is supposed to be pretty awesome online.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i forgot to say, playing MW1 and MW2 should not be for its story, but for its set-piece missions.

Infinity Ward's singleplayer missions are sooooo much better than Treyarch's.