1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V In ceiling speakers and audio Web interfaces

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nedsbeds, 16 Nov 2010.

1. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Hi Guys,

Moving offices at work and we are looking at putting ceiling mounted speakers in. It is quite a big office so our little radio at one end just isn't going to work.

I know nothing about them (know a fair bit about normal speakers though) so any recommendations would be brill.
    Looking to buy 4 and run them from an amp sat in the coms room connected to a server (probably running vlc with a web interface although suggestions on how to work that too would be nice)

Will they run from a standard hifi amp? Was probably going to bung in a low end cambridge audio with two outputs.

Cheers :)

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Speakers are speaker, the main thing to watch out for is the impedance of the speakers and the amp. you can buy proper light weight speakers designed for ceiling fitments. Also take into account with multiple speaker are you going to run them in parallel or in series as this will affect the impedance as well.

Edit: To answer your actual question it'll all run off a normal amp...lol

3. Nedsbeds

Cheers bulldogjeff
    any recommendations on models and where to buy? I was thinking I would just go with what richer sounds have, but there isn't massive choice.

4. Zippededo

Zippededo What's a Dremel?

Are you talking about round speakers flush mounted in the ceiling? I fitted a pair of these in my bathroom, but they wouldn't really fill a large room as they point downwards and not outwards, across the room.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

What's the budget?
    THere are some very nice ceiling mount speakers on the market but you'll pay for the quality

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I would personally head for for a car audio shop, Halfords will do. As already pointed out most ceiling speakers are rubbish. Obviously you don't want to turn the office into a disco but about £40 on a decent pair of 3 way speakers will give you a decent sound just for a bit of back ground choonage. If you wanted to You could actually run them whole lot of a car stereo and wire it into an old PSU and still have it connected to a PC for your mp3 collection to play through.The other way is the more traditional route and use a dedicated amp and use that to power the speakers.

One thing to think about is the weight of the speakers as this will affect the size. what sort of ceiling are they going to be mounted in to?

7. Nedsbeds

think we will stick with dedicated ceiling mounters rather than car audio.

Going in to a suspended ceiling, typical office tiles (not sure on exact material, usually plasterboard.

Budget is probably up to 50 per speaker.

Sound Quality isn't hugely important since we will be at low volumes, although obviously we will want to avoid complete dross!

They will need to be available in white as well.

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

xmbc has a build in web interface