1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress My First Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mat-O, 14 Nov 2010.

1. Mat-O

Mat-O What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I've just built my first PC, thought I'd share it with you!

I'll give you the run down on the completed specs etc. then post some pictures documenting the build.

Specs:

ASUS P6X58D-E Mobo
    Intel i7 950 (3.07GHz Quad)
    Venomous X CPU Cooler
    Sharkoon fans all around
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 Vapour X 1Gb
    6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM,
    64Gb Crucial C300 SSD
    1Tb WD Caviar Blue
    1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 (added a couple of weeks after these photos/project was finished).
    LG BluRay Drive
    Be Quiet Special Edition White 600W Modular Power Supply

External:

WD MyBook Elite 1tb for backing up
    Creative X-mod X-Fi Soundcard
    Acoustic Energy Aego M
    LG W2361V 23" 1080p Monitor
    Alienware TactX Keyboard & Mouse

Case - Lian Li PC-7F W (Custom Powder Coat finish)
    Cold Cathodes and LEDs

Photos:

This is how it all started off... A Lian Li PC-7F W. Pretty boring but sleek and simple which I liked, plus easy to take apart, although it had a few more bits than I expected...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came the job of powder coating! Took it down the local spray shop and they did a great job, nice finish. I then put it all back together. I also added some Sharkoon fans rather than the stock Lian Li ones. This was a little awkward because some of the bits didn't fit quite as nicely now that they were coated, after a little work I got there in the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the case ready for the parts I got them ordered, the postman had a lot to do that week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I whacked them all into the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't get a very good photo of the Lights, but I've had a go. It has two modes, 'full beam' which has two very bright green cathodes. Bit too bright really so I normally just run it with the LEDs. The photos don't do it justice but it looks nice with just the LEDs on, pretty subtle.

Anyway, here's when I had a go at the lights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, thanks for looking and let me know what you think!

Last edited: 14 Nov 2010
  2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Now THAT is a colour scheme.

I love it.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

grats on first build but did noone ever tell u growing up pink and green should never be seen lol

4. joko

joko Hello, i'm new

First picture of the powdercoated parts I thought, "well thats some... interesting colors". but i actually liked it a lot when it got put together ;D

Nice

5. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

The colours are fresh mate, something different. (pink is a big no-no here :D) But I would suggest to fix the cables, resleeving them matching the colour scheme, and paint the black parts in the front green.... that's how I feel about it...

Congrats to your first build :thumb:

6. k0rben

k0rben I use my dremel as a toothbrush

I like pink, but i don't like the color combination, pink with white, black or any subtle color would be badass+psu and cables will match them too. Anyway nice pc you got there (i have the same card :D)
    And just my 2cents, you can remove that rear fan grill which is IN the case, for more airflow.

7. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

At least it's not the usual Black/insert color between red, blue and green here color theme. And you will be sure to find your seat in LAn if you leave it for a few min.

8. Kaldskryke

Kaldskryke Lurker

Wow, that's some wild color! :thumb:

Just so you know, around here "scratch build" means you built the case by hand. This project is a case mod.

9. Kviker

Kviker What's a Dremel?

Funny colors ^_^

10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

HAHAHAHAHA!!! ZZOOOOO-MMMYYYYY-GGOODDD!!! :rock::rock::rock:Those colors are just to awesome! :rock::rock::rock:

oh man.... sorry about that but my brain cant take that much Win at one time...

and P.S. those are pretty close to being complimentary colors so actually he did really well. Red and Green are complimentary and that looks like Pink/Coral and sort of Sea Green or Sea Foam green or something like that which artistically speaking matches up to the color wheel pretty well.

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

I thought it was... Blue and green should never be seen, without a colour in-between.

Either way, I still love the colour scheme. It was a brave choice and it really paid off.

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Its a barbie box, Still interesting colour scheme.

13. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Wow, those colours wanna make me scream and run away :D

Nice build ;)

14. Mat-O

Mat-O What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone. Definitely a love it or hate it thing. I considered a number of colours. Orange and green was a possibility but looking around a lot of people had Orange PCs so that was out. Pink with white inside would have been cool too, that was a strong contender. I've always liked Pink and Green for some reason so went for it. At the end of the day we're all making our builds for ourselves! Next time I may try and be more adventurous, and do a real scratch build (sorry for mis-labelling Kaldskryke)

I went for the Black and Pink exterior too, partially because I couldn't do a proper job of green and pink outside so didn't want it to look half arsed. I could have got the Black alu rectangles done but then I couldn't easily do the blu ray drive. Equally the plastic parts couldn't be powdercoated so I'd have to spray along with power buttons and screws etc. I like the look of black/pink with green 'bursting out'.

Yes, more braiding would look awesome too, probably would do it in white to match fans/fan-cables/PSU. In the end time factored in as I wanted it done as I needed a PC! I may do it at a later date, give it all a revamp. I'd like a black metal green LED vandal switch (these were out of stock so I had to pass, they are in stock again now but that will have to wait for me to redo things!)

Another thing which I REALLY wanted was liquid cooling. Unfortunately costs had to factor in and it wasn't viable (not if it meant I'd have to downgrade my processor and graphics to do it.)

If I start to think I need more power in a few years time, a cheap(ish) upgrade may be to liquid cool and clock it up to 4-5GHz and maybe add a second 5770 Crossfired.

Thanks again for all the kind words :)

15. MattyStone

MattyStone What's a Dremel?

Nice build, but not really my cup o' tea on the colour scheme :jawdrop:

16. masterchief9615

masterchief9615 PC builder / Modder

Never seen anything like that! Way to be creative!

17. tkgclimb

tkgclimb man it's all harder than it looks

It's sweet that you found a keyboard to match your color scheme, no only if i could to...

Anyway nice build.

18. Mat-O

Mat-O What's a Dremel?

What colours are you after? The Alienware has a lot of different colours to choose from. It changes colour when I get an email too. :)