1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming A Letter to Minecraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Nov 2010.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I love the survival aspect of Minecraft. While I can see why some people would like to join an online server, not need to mine, and can just start going nuts with their imagination, I much prefer loading up a new single player map, and just surviving. Dig through the night, explore above ground during the day. My first bow, by first diamonds; it's wicked addictive and fun.

If only multiplayer was that, just with more people.

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

Well done, you have demotivated me as much as is possible.

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Minecraft is a example of something: depth. NO other game gave you the same sense of depth as minecarft. And it is in alpha. I can imagine LOTS of potential in this game.
    Imagine a "capture the flag" with this... Think of the possibilities.

I have to agree thou that the game as it is now is kinda crude. Too few monsters and nothing mutch to do besides construction.

But if you care just a little about building things, the game will be endless.

For example, I hate HL series. I don't see any fun in those games, but still other people love it...

BTW, by the looks of you signature, you don't care about beauty :D
    JUST KIDDING!

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

No one else seems to have asked so im going to,

explain?

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh, fond memories of the old server.

6. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

are we done yet - can we play Crysis now?

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

You see, this is why Mr. Paul doesn't understand, nor like the game. You have to be in on it. It's actually a rampant orgy when you get in.

8. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Minecraft is a good vessel for fanboi culture

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

sigh, haters.

10. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

As long as you leave us to it, and don't constantly ask us to join and claim "you don't get it" when we refuse...

Then it's be fine.

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I don't remember asking you to play minecraft. It's not my fault that your friends don't respect your taste.

But your original post wasn't hateful at all, so i don't know why you're posting a retort to my post which addresses haters.

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

People are strange. A game suddenly becomes popular, but because they're not interested in it they expect the entire Internet to be devoid of articles and people talking about it :eyebrow:

What's stranger is that people take these articles to be some kind of personal campaign against their disinterest in their game, and so great is their disinterest that they must not only read every single one of these articles, but also comment on them, further explaining their disinterest to those who play the game and enjoy it.

What I don't understand is why this only seems to affect Minecraft and not other, even more popular games. Why are people not commenting in all of the Black Ops threads in the Gaming forum (of which there are several times more than the single, more popular Minecraft thread in that forum, which has also garnered hate in the comments section of this blog for people having the audacity to post in it!), telling us how much they don't want to play that game?

In short, I'm confused.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Minecraft is great for those who have a need to spend hours creating things out of little building blocks. And some of what I have seen is very impressive. But I'm sitting firmly in the other camp. The camp that thinks a game like that is unbelievably dull and pointless.

14. Canon

Canon Reformed

I don't get it. How come an obvious majority of those that dislike the game are so bitter about it? Fair enough if someone has bound you to your chair and ballgagged you and made you play it then you're not going to be overly enthusiastic about it....but I assume that isn't usually the case.

15. Kaldskryke

Kaldskryke Lurker

I think the strange part of the article is that Paul says there are no goals in Minecraft to inspire him to play and then proceeds to say that his goals in codblops are things like improving his aim or KDR.

When I normally talk to people who say (in not so few words) "Minecraft has no goals" they are mostly referring to how Minecraft has no story and never tells you any mission objectives/what-have-you. There's no "campaign" of closely scripted theme-park missions that lead up to the player winning the game. Without being told what to do these players feel as if there is nothing to do. Whereas I feel the beauty of Minecraft and other sandbox games is that as a player you pick your own goals and they are limitless although arbitrary. You don't get nice cutscenes as a reward when you complete your own goal, but I feel that when I am working on something because I thought it would be cool that it's a much stronger motivation and much more addictive. I don't have a lot of fun in Minecraft if I'm simply wandering around aimlessly. If I decide I want to make an underwater city or a contraption that automatically kills monsters and harvests their loot then all of a sudden I can't stop playing until I've achieved my goal.

So if Paul had said that his goals in codblops were to do things the game is telling him to do (beat missions, unlock achievements) I would think that maybe he doesn't "get" how to make his own goals. But Paul wants to improve his aim and KDR, things which he can't "win" without setting his own arbitrary definition of success.

I don't mind that Paul doesn't want to build with legos that he can't play with afterwards (although you can certainly smash them with TNT instead of a kitchen floor) and I'm not going to coerce him into playing. But the best part of minecraft isn't building a stealth bomber with blocks and destroying it. It's building something because you want to, and maybe having other people come and help you with it.

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Im still trying to complete Folding@Home. that game has way too many achievement points on offer!!

17. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

What point is there in minecraft?
    I don't play it. But I'll ask you what point is there in Counter-strike, Starcraft, Hearts of iron, etc.?

Ultimately, what point is there in life?

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

19. Canon

Canon Reformed

Not as deep as the hole I can dig in Minecraft.

20. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Just go play Garry's Mod, It has the same sandbox creationism, but after you do spend 10 hours working on your awesome stealth bomber, there is a slight chance it will turn into a whirling black-hole of props and crash the server. But if it doesn't black-hole then you can take your stealth bomber, and proceed to drop nuke a on your mates as they try to shoot you down with surface to air missiles!

Tags: Add Tags