Electronics wierd lcd + interesting backlight method

Discussion in 'Modding' started by eaterofpies, 2 Feb 2003.

1. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

right i got this lcd ages ago and no one can find out ne specs for the driver ics so im gonna try to make my own driver board first major prob is how much power do actual lcd displays take (without driver ics) and how the hell do they work :D this has connectors along 2 sides of it (top and bottom) and a flex cable poking out of one end :-/

ne ideas how to turn just 1 pixel on or off? oh and some of the wires are marked + on the lcd display itself

some ppl might be wondering why dont u just bin it well quite simply its 30 cm by 10 cm blue with white backlight and its inverted

oh the backlight method is very interesting too it uses a ccfl or neon tube with white plastic wrapped in a u shape around it and a piece of acrylic with the top and bottom painted white that runs the full length of the display ill try to put some pics up in a second

the back of the lcd (the ccfl is behind the white plastic)
    [​IMG]

where it says + on the lcd itself
    [​IMG]

the flex cable at the opposite end to the ccfl
    [​IMG]

and the acrylic bit that is used as a backlight
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Feb 2003
  2. FLECOM

FLECOM What's a Dremel?

most CCFL backlit displays are like that... i have a 240x64 SED1330 display that uses a little metal attachement on the left to secure the CCFL against the acrilic that spreads the light...

does it have any chips on a board or something you can take pics of so maybe we can see what controller it uses?

3. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

4. FLECOM

FLECOM What's a Dremel?

aparantly according to a thread on Eio.com this LCD is a passive maxtrix graphical display (like a laptop display) so you would need a controller to run it like the ones from EarthLCD (expensive)

could be wrong, gonna see if i dig a bit