1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Weird RAM problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by enfluence, 9 Dec 2010.

1. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

I've bought some more ram to go along with my 2GB to make it 4GB and the most annoying thing in the world is happening.

The yellow sockets dont seem to work on my motherboard. Ive tried using single ram sticks on each socket and the only ones that seem to work are the red. Its not the rams fault as i've tried swapping old ram with new ram and both seem to work in conjunction with each other, its just the yellow doesnt seem to work at all.

Is my motherboard screwed?

Edit: forgot to add motherboard

ga p31-ds3l

PS they're 4 1GB sticks

Last edited: 9 Dec 2010
  2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

According to the manual you are limited to single sided rather than double sided RAM if all 4 sockets are to be populated but if you've tried all the sockets seperately with just a single stick it could be one set of slots is defective.

3. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

are you using the same type of ram in all your slots?

4. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

Yeah 800 but it wouldnt work at all in combination if they didnt work? Im gonna try it in another motherboard in a bit.

5. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

Doesn't boot up either with the Asus Maximus Formula II. Am i doing something wrong here? Is there some kind of science to plugging something in?

6. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

No help?

7. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Am I understanding you correctly, you've tried the ram in another motherboard and it works when only using single sticks but not all at once on both motherboards?

8. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

In that case reduce the speed of the RAM to say, 667MHz. 4 sticks in a Socket 775 motherboard puts additional strain on the Northbridge and while some can handle that others can't.

10. L4nce0

L4nce0 Hmm what was that breaking sound..

ah asus boards.. did you clear cmos? I'm only asking because it solved 90% of the billion issues my old striker had. That and the mobo refused to automatically downclock too fast ram.

If that doesn't work, I'd want you to try all the ram in another computer. ( leave no stone unturned.) though be causeful. I went an a tour at HP during a job interview and they were talking about how the connections on the dims wear out ( he said after 8 removals, but I think thats with pos cheap ram)

11. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

Test one of your old sticks at a time in one slot. If your older known working stick doesn't work in the yellow slots then I think you will have to RMA your mother board.

12. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

Thanks a lot man..seems to work now! Weird how it didn't work the first time but after clearing the CMOS it worked. Guess it's a shame it didn't work in the other board, i can narrow that down to the ports failing.