1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V HD Requirements?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krakatoa3, 13 Dec 2010.

1. krakatoa3

krakatoa3 How hard can it be??

Hi guys,

What are the requirements for getting HD on a monitor, with HD sound? I'm slightly confused, as far as I understand the connection between desktop and monitor makes a difference. VGA is no good, but I don't understand if DVI or (DVI-D) is any good. I think HDMI is, as it's in the name, but should probably check.

And will most onboard sound be good enough for HD sound, if it has a 5.1 system?

Trying to plan ahead with new Christmas PC.

Thanks,

Sam

2. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

Full HD is a resolution of about 1920x1080 if I remember correctly/

Any output on a current card will be able to power that.
    Even VGA.

As for the sound I believe that it is just marketed as being HD. Any 7.1 Surround is just as good as that. I think 5.1 Surround is as well.

With HDMI you can Daisy Chain in the setup like below.

GPU HDMI port --> Stereo reciever with HDMI input and output --> HD TV/Monitor.

Hope that helps :D

3. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

VGA is capiable of displaying HD resolutions, and considerbly byond it too, but it is an analoge interface which means that you may get artifacts on your screen if you have electrical sources nearby, or at least that is a problem that I've encountered with VGA on my setup. Most monitors and GPUs today support either DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort inputs. HDMI since they are all digital.'

HDMI is best if you want to eventually use your monitor as a television for consoles or cable since it is essentially the de facto standard there.

DisplayPort is essentially another version of HDMI. There are some interesting multiple monitor possibilities here with 1.2 and the AMD 5k and 6K series GPUs but otherwise it is the same and it also supports sound.

DVI is an older, larger port. Almost every GPU and monitor has this port but it looks like it is being replaced by DisplayPort and HDMI.

These 3 formats are all digital and they can be easily converted between each other using dongles.

4. krakatoa3

krakatoa3 How hard can it be??

So HDMI also sends Audio aswell as Visual? And I suppose then that if it was just plugged into a Monitor with speakers, the speakers would work.

And so any Monitor with 1920x1080 is good enough? Thanks

Thanks for the help

5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Yea it's the same as when you plug a blu-ray player into a tv.

Dvi just carries the picture which is why I have a speaker system connected to the pc.

Yea, but obviously the better the monitor the better the picture, I have a Dell ultrasharp widescreen.

And you need a pc powerful enough to run hd video, which isn't too hard. Win 7 can run it off the gpu even.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2010
  6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you want to use bluray then you'll need a monitor that supports hdcp.
    Your gpu & OS will also need to support hdcp (vista & 7 do)

7. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Most thing do support HDCP so that doesn't matter.

You don't have to worry about sound if you are on a computer. Your computer would automatically output the sound through your sound card and into your speaker rather than your HDMI cable and into you monitor.

Of course this only matters if you a viewing a HD source such as Blu-Ray.