1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Apple Mac Pro - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bagman, 14 Dec 2010.

1. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

Who honestly cares.about performance on a laptop
    Macs are nice easy light etc.... but pixel qi screens out soon +10

2. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Brushing aside the whole issue that it's your sister's money and decision...

She should get whichever OS she's going to be using in the real world in the future. Long-term experience with the OS is always good and will offset the small cost difference now. This is of course, assuming your sister is going to sit in an office behind a computer in her future job role.

Assuming this isn't her future life (goodo), then what does it really matter? As long as the screen is matte, then I can't really see the problem. All Windows laptops outside of proper business class lappies are utter rubbish. Build quality is poor, screen reflects your face, and the battery lasts 5 mins.

I think it's unfair to compare a Mac to a general Windows laptop because the build is so utterly different. While not Thinkpad level, at least they don't bend if you hold them at the edge. The battery on a Mac will last, what, 5-7hrs? That matters. Even my Thinkpad won't push beyond 4hrs without a much larger battery that sticks out.

It's fair to say the laptop isn't likely to be used for 'proper gaming', which precludes almost all critical reasons for Windows over OSX. Unless she has a pressing need for Visual Studio?

In my experience, people who aren't computer savvy just get on better with OSX. It tells/guides you rather than giving a million options. If you just want to check myface and send chain emails, then quite frankly this is a good thing. I say let your sister get the pretty laptop with the long battery life.

But do make sure the 'matte screen' upgrade is checked.

3. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

show her the HP Envy...
    cuz in term of looks it's exactly the same, and the feel? exactly the same... with the awesome point that it's cheaper :p

and yes they do have a 14.5" version

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I'd say go for the MacBook Pro. Is it more expensive? Yes! Does it have a far better built quality then any windows laptop sold for less? Yes!

The MacBook Pro is an amazing piece of kit, it's reliable, very well built, quiet, stylish and feels expensive. Some people even like OSX, the operating system that comes along with it, you can install Windows 7 as well though. Also remember that any apple product will keep it's value longer than any windows laptop.

5. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Im also a member on a motorcycle forum which has a novel but useful idea... let me explain...

On said forum any form of car talk is forbidden, to the point that a special penatentuary section has been set up where offending members are placed to think about their hainous crimes. Here, offenders can only converse with similar offenders and on threads relevant to remorse and choosing a better path. Meanwhile law abiding citizens can visit but also sleep easy at night, safe. Sentences end when perpetrators are allowed a form of parole where they return to the scene of their crime and express their sincere regret to those that they hurt the most. If this statement is deemed heartfelt they are accepted back into society... if not its back to the joint....

Could this be used to punish applespeak? :nono:

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Could be used to punish apple haters I suppose

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

osx is a better os than windows.... unix is lovely and was coded by the gods

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i refuse to buy a HP laptop no matter what it is hunk of junk piece of c**p

i am swaying towards a MBP

everyone who has never owned an MBP says no, and everyone who has owned an MBP says yes

9. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

There is reason for that then.

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

TBH this makes a lot of sense. The majority of anti apple people have never used let alone owned the products they are bad mouthing.

11. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

I've always been a windows user - however a few days ago someone offered me a brand new MBP at a very attractive price - it was a one off that they got as part of a deal.

Having thought about it for a while, I took them up on their offer - OSX is a good OS - people who use windows say its awful but everyone I know who uses it love it.

For build quality etc they're superb so it should last me a while, and it'll be good to learn another OS.

I'd say go for it :)

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And a 14.5" is the epitome of light-weight, is it? 5.57lbs (Envy 14 Series) vs 2.9lbs (MBA 13").

Also the Envy starts at $999... not that much cheaper if you ask me.
    Oh, did I mention the screen has a lower resolution? 1366x768 vs 1440x900.

Sorry, just had to. :p As mentioned below, not a big fan of any non-business HP's and I don't think the Envy is (much) better than a MBA.

When he asks for his opinion whether to buy a Mac or PC you want to avoid "applespeak"? :eyebrow:

Go & hate somewhere else or make useful comments that are actually related to the topic, thanks.

1st: Can't agree with you there. HP business laptop (EliteBooks, both 13" & 15") are top-notch. The 13" with an i7 & SSD (2540p) is just a killer business laptop. So is the 8540p, it's 15" sibling. (i5 + SSD)
    Their non-business line-up is utter crap, though.

2nd: Macs are different from PCs and used to be very much aimed at a niche market which is why PC fan boys used to hate them, me not excluded. It also didn't help that Mac owners always thought they were something special. In the last couple of years, though, Macs have opened up to a way bigger share of the market and have thus become less elitist, at least in my opinion.

I can't say that OSX is better/worse than Windows, it just is different & aimed at different kinds of people. All this hating (either way) just makes me tired...

I just have to say that I know a lot less people that went Mac and were happier than before than the other way round. For whatever reason... I don't know or am not in the position to judge.

13. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

At work we seem to have an epidemic of the senior management wanting/NEEDING a Mac.

They think it’s totally justified to spend £1600 on a Mac which they use for nothing more than word processing.

And get this, 90% of the admin applications that they have to use in their every day work won’t run on Mac so we have resorted to installing a virtualised copy of windows 7 on it.

All in all £2000 down the drain, compared to the £600 for a standard HP business PC running windows 7 + a 24" screen that actually outperforms the Mac in every way.

Not only that but they are a pain in the arse on a Windows network...And ALL of the useful ports and buttons are on the back! It takes me a good 5 minutes of wrestling the thing into submission just to plug a fire wire cable in!

At the end of the day, unless it is for using Mac only software (usually in music and Art) most Apple products are just shiny monoliths of corruption and brainwashing.

14. magicianlord

magicianlord What's a Dremel?

i have read that review and also own an 11" MBA. bootup is more like just under 20s. i stand a bit corrected on the previous 30s, which must have been a one-off.

15. perplekks45

Why not just install Windows 7 with BootCamp instead of virtually?
    The next question would be: why do you administer at all? With us it's basically the same. People want non-standard hardware (mainly Apple), cool with us but please don't expect anything but absolutely basic support. Oh, you don't like that? Well... tough luck. Oh, you're CEO/COO/CTO/whatever? Still tough luck.

Works surprisingly well. ;)

16. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

In most cases its somone with allot more influance that decides whats hardware we get, they want a Mac, they get a Mac kind of people.

Being just a humble technician i dont have the authority to over rule their decision, just advise (and usualy ignored).

Its not untill it arives do they realise they cant actually use the sodding thing for anything other than firing off a few emails or knocking out some word documents.

They need to use a pice of software that is windows only, they bark at me to arrive at a solution (the smiplest being dont buy something i TOLD you want going to work.)

But no i have to spend half the day BootCamping the thing or Battling with VMware and image with windows 7.

I like your tough luck approach, but when the rot goes so deep, the people in charge dont like being told what to do and what they can and cant have...they only want solutions.

RAGE:wallbash:

Sorry:confused:

17. perplekks45

I know how you feel. I was the first one to introduce the "tough luck policy" here. ;)
    Let's stop the off topic discussion though, okay? :)