1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU FanMod on a ex-PSU. Risk of electrical shock?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aLtikal, 20 Dec 2010.

1. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Hey people. I installed the new power supply (corsair builder 500w) after getting fed up with the fan noise on my ex-PSU.

I've opened the PSU casing up and luckily the fan uses a 2pin connection commonly found on motherboards.

The bigger problem is the amount of the dust embedded in it. Probably over 5 years of it. It needs massive de-dusting.

1) What de-dusting techniques do you use? Compressed air? Where from?! Links appreciated.
    2) Am i at risk of left-over electrical shocks in some of the parts?

Will probably use this PSU in the future for another build.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Some of the parts will store a dangerous electrical charge, capacators in particular. To be safe wear thich rubber gloves and don't touch anything electrical with more than one hand, that way you won't get a shock through your heart.

3. Remeniz

Remeniz Muted!

I've cleaned many dust bunnies out of ATX PSU's, the circuit board, between the board and case as well as the fan itself. As long as it's unplugged you'll be OK cleaning it.

I usually use a hoover with the tapered pipe attached for extra suction with medium sized paint brush and a tooth brush. I'll brush and use the hoover pipe close to suck up the dirt and any dislodged dust.

Same with the fan, but and this is important, don't let the suction of the hoover spin the fan as it can damage it. Stick a finger in the blade to stop it turning while brushing with the brush and sucking with the hoover and move on to the next blade.

:D

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Leave it for a couple days. Then dust away with a can of air.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

is a couple of days enough? I know old telly's could hold charge for years. If you have a can of compressed air then what is the harm in doing it straight away if you don't touch anything?

6. Remeniz

Remeniz Muted!

A few days? It doesn't need to be a few hours. CRT TV's are a little different to a swithing ATX PSU... The caps inside these ATX PSU's discharge very quickly.

By all means be over cautious but it really isn't necessary.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2010