1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What should i do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [KNIGHT], 24 Dec 2010.

1. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

This is my current system specs.
    Intel dp45sg
    core 2 quad Q6600 (1066mhz)
    2GB DDR 3 (1333 but running at 1066 CPU)
    HIS 4650 512MB
    450W PSU
    250GB HDD
    Viewsonic 19" @ 1366x768

Few days ago my Graphics card stopped working. I checked the problem and found out that my graphics card is in Computer heaven. :p
    So i dont have a graphics card at the moment.

i use my computer mostly for gaming. but for other tasks too

So my question is should i buy only a graphic card? If i buy only a graphics card will the other components be a bottlrneck? Or should i go for a complete upgrade? Any recomendations?

Last edited: 24 Dec 2010
  2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

If you don't tell us the budget, then we don't know.

3. [KNIGHT]

guys if u can pls let me know whether i should upgrade only the graphics card or if my whole system is old whether i should go for a complete upgrade. then can i decide on a budjet and tell u guys??

4. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

What sort of budget and what sort of games do you play?

Also when you say mostly for gaming. but for other tasks too. What are these other tasks?

5. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

6. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Go for graphics and hold off on a full overhaul until sandybridge has settled. Maybe even wait for the LGA 2011 sandybridge processors b4 going for a full upgrade. You could also probably use a memory upgrade to 4GB (2x2GB for dual channel) before then too :p.

7. [KNIGHT]

Thanks guys for your support. I also thought of buying only a graphics card.

8. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Remember to check the power requirements of the graphics card before you buy it. 450W might not be enough for some higher end graphics cards, and a lot of graphics cards now need supplementary connectors so make sure your PSU has those b4 buying a new card.

You didn't say if you had a cooler on your CPU or not, but you could get 4GB of dual channel memory (1600MHz or 1333MHz depending on what your mobo supports) and overclock a bit after you get the graphics card to increase the power and lifespan of your system. You can overclock on the stock cooler, but it's usually better to go with an aftermarket one.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2010
  9. [KNIGHT]

I was going to buy an EVGA GTX 460. But if i was to buy that i would have to spend
    Approximately USD250 for the 1GB version and USD 210 for the 768MB version. Other than that i would also have to buy another PSU. So i didnt go for that

I went back to HIS and bought a 5750 1GB for approx USD 175. I didnt need a PSU for that. There were converters to convert the power cables to PCI express power. Even at the moment im not having any problem running it with a 450W PSU.

And i know you all will be surprised about the prices. Yes they are expensive in Sri Lanka.

10. [KNIGHT]

I was going to buy an EVGA GTX 460. But if i was to buy that i would have to spend
    Approximately USD250 for the 1GB version and USD 210 for the 768MB version. Other than that i would also have to buy another PSU. So i didnt go for that

I went back to HIS and bought a 5750 1GB for approx USD 175. I didnt need a PSU for that. There were converters to convert the power cables to PCI express power. Even at the moment im not having any problem running it with a 450W PSU.

And i know you all will be surprised about the prices. Yes they are expensive in Sri Lanka.