1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weirdness query

Discussion in 'Game Server' started by Kittenbait, 30 Dec 2010.

1. Kittenbait

Kittenbait What's a Dremel?

I got shot a few times on Inferno tonight by one guy, and when the view moved to spectate on the killer, twice he was far away with several intervening walls which would make it impossible for him to have killed me (the first time it also showed him killing two other guys he couldn't have hit).

I accused him of hacking after the second incident, but apologised after one of my teammembers and a server regular (C4H8O8N8 Steve) told me the second kill was definitely legit from his view. So has anyone ever had the same thing where the spectate has shown a character in a clearly wrong place, like other side of the map wrong, because it's new to me.

2. Rat1sully

Rat1sully At Least Skt478 Never Broke

I'd wager that what's happened is he's killed you from some distance quite legitimately then moved through a couple of doors by the time it's switched your view over to him

3. Kittenbait

Believe me, where he was on the map and where I (and the others) died, there was no possible way he could have shot them and moved there. On inferno, he was around the woodpile and alcove between bombsite A and T spawn, the people he shot were in the apartments near bombsite B.

4. Tuned#F_A_F

Tuned#F_A_F What's a Dremel?

If you ever get suss about a player, instantly drop into spec and watch them for ten minutes or so. A clever hacker will hide his hack by not using it all the time, but ten minutes is a fairly long while for him to turn it back on again. I usually type "record <playername>" as well in console, so at least I have evidence if Fu and the gang need it...

5. Rat1sully

Think i'll do a demo tutorial post later, if in doubt message us admins about it using ma_say <text here>

6. C4vey

C4vey What's a Dremel?

I saw that a few times a while back, a player shown in the wrong place to spectate, but they weren't moving, only looking around and shooting. It was the same place for the same player every time too. I haven't seen it recently though.

7. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

There is one already in the stickies

8. L Plates

L Plates Irritating annoyance

I've seen this many times before and possibly more frequently recently, I tend to put it down to either interp or valve update. Certainly interp can cause those 'I got behind wall and dragged back to death' moments

9. Rat1sully

forgot about that as was at work, I have a script for recording demos much easier

plug it in your auto exec and demo away (think rogz wrote this first anyhow)

Code:
    //This script allows you to record up to 10 demos in a row.
    //
    alias rec "demo1"
    alias demo1 "record demo1; echo Recording demo 1; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo1"
    alias enddemo1 "echo End recording demo 1; stop demo; alias rec demo2"
    alias demo2 "record demo2; echo Recording demo 2; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo2"
    alias enddemo2 "echo End recording demo 2; stop demo; alias rec demo3"
    alias demo3 "record demo3; echo Recording demo 3; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo3"
    alias enddemo3 "echo End recording demo 3; stop demo; alias rec demo4"
    alias demo4 "record demo4; echo Recording demo 4; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo4"
    alias enddemo4 "echo End recording demo 4; stop demo; alias rec demo5"
    alias demo5 "record demo5; echo Recording demo 5; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo5"
    alias enddemo5 "echo End recording demo 5; stop demo; alias rec demo6"
    alias demo6 "record demo6; echo Recording demo 6; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo6"
    alias enddemo6 "echo End recording demo 6; stop demo; alias rec demo7"
    alias demo7 "record demo7; echo Recording demo 7; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo7"
    alias enddemo7 "echo End recording demo 7; stop demo; alias rec demo8"
    alias demo8 "record demo8; echo Recording demo 8; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo8"
    alias enddemo8 "echo End recording demo 8; stop demo; alias rec demo9"
    alias demo9 "record demo9; echo Recording demo 9; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo9"
    alias enddemo9 "echo End recording demo 9; stop demo; alias rec demo10"
    alias demo10 "record demo10; echo Recording demo 10; sb_status; sb_status;   alias rec enddemo10"
    alias enddemo10 "echo End recording demo 10; stop demo; alias rec demo1"

bind "F9" "rec"

10. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

Regarding the OP, it sounds like a bug with freeze cam, I disabled it pretty much on release of the update as it was bloody annoying. I am assuming you have it enabled kitten. If so, try disabling it

Options>Multiplayer>Advanced>disable freeze cam.

11. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

Just throwing it out there and I may be on the wrong track but there is a bug where in spectate a player can be shown to you in a completely random spot from where he actually is in game but still showing movement and gun actions?

12. Kittenbait

Yeah, that fits with what I was seeing.

@fu: thanks for letting me know that. It's useful to know so I can double check my spectate in future. He got a bit shirty when I accused him of hacking (which is understandable), although I'm not inclined to forgive him for carrying on being such an arsehole when I explained I'd checked with a teammate, something was wrong with my spectate and apologised.