Electronics Vt102 = Sed1330 + Pic + Rs232 + Ps/2?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by FLECOM, 10 Feb 2003.

1. FLECOM

FLECOM What's a Dremel?

ok so here is my brainstorm...

i do a -lot- of work with managed hubs, switches and routers ex. baynetworks, cisco... and they all use serial ports for management, and i use a laptop with hyperterminal and hook through the serial port etc....

but i would really like to make a little terminal device... basicly using the 320x200 SED1330 LCD over at www.eio.com and some sort of micro controller circuit to provide the 8 I/O lines for the LCD plus however many control lines are nessicary, plus a serial RS232 line to interface with the switches, and some i/o lines to interface with a standard PS2 keyboard (i would be using one of those little tiny keyboards obviously...

any ideas what microcontroller i should use?

i am going to have some good programmers helping me, since i am good with electronics, not programming :sigh:

also another question, anyone know how difficult/impossible it would be to hook up the same microcontroller to a nic? like an NE2000 or something, to let it telnet into the switches through ethernet?

2. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

well its not impossible to do, but its prolly more work than its worth. the laptop is your best bet.

3. FLECOM

FLECOM What's a Dremel?

well VT102 protocol is very simple, its mostly serial ASCII...

basicly i just need a microcontroller to convert the ASCII coming in from the hub onto the SED display, and the data coming off of the keyboard into ASCII to send back to the serial port

4. Jafar

Jafar What's a Dremel?

5. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

But then of course you need to plug it into an outlet, and drag around a monitor...