New intel chipset - 800MHz FSB!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8-BALL, 11 Feb 2003.

1. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Just found this while I was looking for flex-ATX boards for Sid

Shuttle AB60/N

What's this Intel I865 chipset of which they speak. All new to me.

Says it supports 800MHz FSB. Any idea when we'll be seeing 800MHz FSB Processors?

Single channel though, as far as I can tell

8-ball

2. 8-BALL

Detailed specs

Make that Dual Channel

IT'S THE SPRINGDALE CHIPSET:clap: :clap:

Dual DDR400 goodness

8-ball

3. 8-BALL

S-ATA support for two drives built into the southbridge!!!!!

No PCI bus limitations for S-ATA controllers

8-ball

4. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Springdale does indeed rock! :rock:

5. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

:eeek:

^^^

:eeek:

When and were? oh and im guessin this is gonna cos the earth to buy!

6. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

I heard intel is releasing the 3.2 800mhz fsb in mid april, as well as springdale and canterwood to match up with it. My guess is either just before or after Hammer comes out on the 22nd (which happens to be my birthday).

This is perfect, because my new encoding box is going to be incredibly memory intensive. 800Mhz FSB = 6.4Gigs a second mem bandwidth....PLUS its dual channel ddr...= 12.8 theoretical max bandwidth...oh..dear god yes....:lol:

7. 8-BALL

Sorry to ruin your fun, but that's 6.4GB/s taking Dual Channel into account.

800MHz FSB
    Dual DDR400

8-ball

8. mr. phantastik

you sir, are correct. I was basing the dual on the 800mhz instead of 400. My bad.

9. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

You are talking about Springdale (i865)... which is fast... but Canterwood (i875) is faster. It supports some improvements to the memory controller to improve performance, plus other features, :)

10. mr. phantastik

woudl you happen to have a link to a spec sheet? I couldn't seem to find one on intel's site

11. 8-BALL

Don't think it's been properly released yet.

Consider the I864 as a replacement for the I845, good desktop DDR and so on, and the I875 as a replacement for the Rambus solution.

8-ball

12. mr. phantastik

as in canterwood is RDRAM only? That would suxor.

13. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

wooohoo go INTEL! Yeah, the 800 mhz FSB should rock...but the technology isnt there to support it...DDR 466 memory was recently released by Geil...we cant even take advantage of the 533 mhz(without ocing of course, which is entirely possible, but i dont forsee getting 466 mhz DDR memory too 800, though 533 is feasible). i think with SATA integrated into the southbridge we will see the gen 1 SATA drives make a bigger gap between them and the WD Special Edition drives(and similiar). have we forgotten about AMD integrating the memory controller into the chip here though? sounds bigger than a 800 MHZ FSB to me....

14. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster What's a Dremel?

Dude, te 533Mhz bus is at a speed of 133Mhz, the ddr ram is dual pumped essentially, te motherboards bus is quad pumped though, so 133x2=ddr266 133x4=533 mobo bus.

likewise the 800Mhz is still quad pumped i think, so obviously you need 200Mhz fsb, and minimum of ddr400 ram to run. Although they might well add nforce 2 still dividers or sis style and let you run the ram slower. With the dual channel ram even memory running slowly will give good bandwidth.

The only thing people seem to have not mentioned is this. If intel stick with current = to or higher mem ratios, so teh minimum ram speed you could run would be 200Mhz, then overclock options are going to be much more limited on this motherboard than others. A stick of twinmos for £40 can get you 200Mhz easy, if you need 230Mhz to get a good overclock, then you'll 99% likely have to buy better ram, in the price range of PC3500corsair/geil/ocz and up. Even then, we don't know how well this chipset will clock do we, it might have nforce type troubles of lack of power to run at high fsb's, it might not break 250Mhz?

ANy preview testing of either chipset yet? Haven't really followed whats coming up for P4, but want to grab a P4 again.

15. 8-BALL

To be honest, I don't think intel consider how well one of their motherboards will overclock. 800MHz FSB!!!!!!!!!!

That's gonna be pretty quick, no matter how you look at it. And don't forget, this time last year, people were concerned about whether cpu's would ever catch up with memory. Now they finally are, everyone's going crazy.

It is bound to be the case that a brand new chipset which uses the fastes memory and the top processor won't overclock as well at release as a few months down the line once you have improved memory, new bios and the processors have scaled to greater heights.

Overclocking the top of the range is always going to be tough.

Also note that this board aint gonna be out for a while. Intel haven't even released it officially yet.

I'd be pretty damn happy if I got a proc that had just migrated up to a 200MHz based FSB and then oc'd it up to 250MHz.

No cantor and springdale are both 800MHz FSB Dual DDR400 chipsets, it's just that the canterwood will be better and more expensive. Aimed more at the workstation/power user market.

In case you didn't notice, the P4 can use a $#!+ load of bandwidth. The Dual channel DDR266 as on the granite bay provides 4.2GB/s bandwidth. The P4 running a 533 MHz FSB can use 4.2GB/s. Notice anything there.

Dual channel DDR400 provides 6.3GB/s of bandwidth and surprise surprise, the P4 with an 800MHz FSB can use 6.3GB/s.

Why do you think intel would spec it for Dual DDR400 if the processor couldn't use it. As Zapwizard has stated before, the graphics card often uses sytem memory fo things it can't fit into the on card memory. You really don't want to introduce bottlenecks by limiting the bandwidth the proc can use.

[/rant]

8-ball

16. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster What's a Dremel?

THe problem is though, hitting 250Mhz, thats fine, if the ram could take it, but assuming thats all you could hit, then you'd need expensive ram to do it and.. its only going to give you a 25% overclock, so a 3.2Ghz P4 would be limited at say, 4ghz, ok, plenty fast. BUt the 3.06Ghz can hit 4ghx, [H] got one to 4.44Ghz, but that might be impossible with this.

WHIch would be a definate shame. Assuming they release lower speed 800Mhz chips too, as they will be stupid not to, then for instance, a 2.66Ghz P4 would max out at, around 3.3Ghz, which considering they can go higher than that, would again be a shame.

Hey, if they finally get off their asses and reaslise we, the enthusiasts, should be allowed to rule the world, they will unlock the multi's and make that a non exsistant problem.

Either way, my £65 2100+ at 2.48ghz which would match a 3.4Ghz P4, is more than enough for me(ok its not, its what i can afford though, and i'm happy).

Thing is, if i ever needed that much power, as in 3.2Ghz P4 clocked to 4GHz, i'd be better off buying a duallie amd platform for still under half the price and have better performance, or buying 3 amd mobo +chip combinations and separate the work out over them. Waaayyyy faster.

THis is the main reason i don't get paying more than £250-300 for the lastest chip,. at £500-600 its cheaper and faster to get two cheaper chips or a duallie.:confused::confused: :confused:

17. 8-BALL

Which one would that be. The xeon is expensive and overkill for anything needed by the enthusiast, and the AMD variety is still stuck on a 133MHz FSB with and outdated northbridge.

I'm sure when intel first moved up to the 133MHz FSB from the 100MHz one the same issues were considered, but the memory improved.

It will again.

8-ball

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Its not a major worry for AMD IMO... seeing as they are moving to 400Mhz FSB soon too :)

19. Cheese

Cheese Doc

That's certainly true... for a fair while people bought A's over B's for overclocking.

It might take a while for cheap RAM to catch up with new chipsets like this, but I'm sure it'll happen... and the FSB does have to go up. Personally I can't wait for the new chipset :)

Rob.

20. mr. phantastik

Don't forget too that we're talking april here, not like next week. New ram should be released by then, which causes current ram prices to drop.

I used to say "amd for value" but with current pricing, Intel is seemingly better and better. A 3000+ Barton is at the same price as a 3.06w/HT. I'm not starting an amd vs intel war here, just stating pricing.

Personally, I'm with cheese: bring it on, and bring it fast. I'm planning my new system on one of these puppies.