1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4.2GHz bigadv stability issues

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Tesla effect, 28 Jan 2011.

1. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Could be my board &/or my i7 950 CPU that limiting me but I've been getting the same consistent bsod with the following error: irql_not_less_or_equal.

There's a lot of talk about drivers & the like when looking for hints using Google. Seems to be memory related but at 4GHz with the same Ram multiplier (1600MHz, 3200MHz uncore) no issues. I tried dropping the command rate to 2T but no difference. I suspect it could be the QPI vtt or even the IOH voltage that I need to find a sweet spot with. Anyone have any thoughts or advice please? Cheers.

I'm having to really push CPU vtt at 1.4 with LLC enabled which is about as far it will go without the temps getting too high.

2. paddi70

paddi70 What's a Dremel?

What motherboard are you using?

3. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

MSI X58A-GD65. I picked this board to fit two, triple slot cooled GPU's but I'm using a single card now since I used the second card to put my Q6600, Biostar TP45 HP rig back together (Ubuntu Server).

I've only been able to overclock this MSI board properly since the latest BIOS provided an LLC option. It throws an extra .05v over the BIOS voltage under load.

1.39v in Bios (+ 0.29v) & 1.45v with Prime95 running blend, core temps peaking between 80c - 85c. Strangely, higher than Intel burn test ( max 1.43v under load)?

Not so sure about the LLC, I see the argument that less core voltage can potentially be applied in the BIOS to hit better clocks but I'm not convinced over the way this board reacts.

Also, I think I need to Prime95 test a bit longer maybe & tweak QPI, CPU PLL & IOH voltage some more.