1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dragon Age 2 DRM explained

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Feb 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Sounds fair enough.... Bit of a pain having to verify each install, but for me that's only once or twice for a game (determined by the number of times I rebuild the OS usually)

3. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

So you can play offline, provided you log in online once in a while?

4. Jewels

Jewels What's a Dremel?

All versions (retail or digital), apart from Steam's, use this form of DRM, and it's apparently more lenient than Steamworks.

5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Don't see the problem with this, although I'm sure we'll get a few goons in here whining regardless.

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've seen worse. My main worry with all the DRM games come with these days is what happens if I want to play that game in 10 years time.

7. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Don't forget after a single authentication via Steam, you can switch to offline mode permanantly (or until you buy anew game or need a patch etc...)

8. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

9. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

EA appear to be using their brain...unlike a certain Ubisoft.

10. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

the original da was pirated to pieces though

11. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I've heard Steam's offline mode actually requires you to log in every once in a while as well. Not sure how often either of these systems needs a connection, but I think they're both much of a muchness. Doesn't really affect me nor most other people on here - just about all of us have always-on connections - but I don't see myself boycotting this like I did with Ubi games. Not that I'm planning on buying DA2, mind..

One other thing, I think there's something in there about EA having some backup plan for if they go under or the servers are taken down or hell freezes over. Props to them.

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Even if you get the Steam version I expect the EA log in will be required as soon as you add DLC to the game, as per DA at present.

13. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

Bugger, thanks a lot EA. Since my gaming PC is not connected to the internet (No point as I don't play multiplayer and my connection is crap anyway) this is going to be a major headache.

What was wrong with just a disc check that DA1 used?

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I don't have a problem with it. Sounds pretty reasonable actually. I already have an EA account that I use, so it won't really be any different than what I do already.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure there will be a crack out the same day it releases (certainly within a week). Just buy it, then search for a crack, and bosh, sorted!

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Sounds reasonable, tbh - although I do hate having to sign up for yet another account :/. Still, a much better proposition than some others I've heard.

16. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

Sounds like the easiest solution to me, still don't like EA's insinuation that were all criminals first and customers second.

After the 5 install limit was revealed on launch day for Dead Space 2 I kind of feared that EA had lost the plot with DRM again :(

17. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

It's not draconian DRM but Witcher 2 is still a lot better bargain than this. CD projekt knows how to value their customers...

18. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Both times i've tried using this (when I've moved / known i'm going to be without a net connection) its worked fine for 1 or 2 days then demands i go online, so from my experience it's next to useless.

19. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

This actually sounds pretty good, not too intrusive. Of course it'll be cracked by pirates before the game is even launched, rendering all the time and money they spent on the system completely pointless, but that's true of any DRM.

edit: regarding steam offline mode, I used it for months at a time while at uni, to play half life and portal without being able to connect steam.

20. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

the fact there isnt really any particular intrusive DRM does sound quite good.

mite concider switching to the Steam version although I've currently got the signature version pre-ordered and I dont think I can get that on steam

Tags: Add Tags