1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Netbook Gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by millhouse09, 29 Jan 2011.

1. millhouse09

millhouse09 What's a Dremel?

Hello to one and all!!

Just a quick question, I have been given a Samsung N110 Netbook by my work to use for very basic stuff (E-mails etc etc) now I like playing things like Starcraft2 C&C and the like on my PC at home but I was just wondering are there any games like the two Ive mentioned that will play on this netbook? (Even very old games) or am I just wishing?!!!!!

Oh and if I wanted to start playing WoW from scratch what would I need to buy? (Games expansion packs etc)

Thanks in advance

Millhouse

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Games on my netbook:

C&C Red Alert
    Warcraft 3
    Moonstone
    Detroit
    Zool
    Streets of Rage
    Golden Axe

you get the idea, retro gaming.

3. skipperoo

skipperoo What's a Dremel?

I think my friend managed to get C&C generals just about running but it took some tweaking and can't have done the netbook any good.

Like MF said, you're pretty much restricted to retro gaming.

Also to answer your WoW question, you'd need to buy all the exp packs but I think they do a bundle deal now called the Battle Chest.

4. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

For WoW, you would need to buy the base game, which should get you through the first few levels, I would suggest at least buying the first expansion as well (Burning crusade, which you need to play as a Blood elf or Draenai), the other 2 packs are Wrath of the Litch King and Cataclysm (you need to buy Cataclysm if you want to play as a Worgen or a Goblin) I would *think* that it would run on a netbook so long as its on low low gfx settings, I've seen people playing it on all manner of crappy systems.

As for games, you might be able to get minecraft to run (I've had good and bad experiences with that), world of goo, Machinarium (pretty much any game from the Humble Indie Bundle, then you have all sorts of older FPS' (Quake, the older COD games, etc), Warcraft 1-3, and Starcraft should run fine (I doubt SC2 will run very well, but don't quote me on that). I'd personally suggest Age of empires 2/3 and Age of Wonders: The Wizard's throne

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Most game 2005 and earlier should "run"

6. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

World of Goo
    Trackmania
    Call of Duty 1 + United Offensive
    Medal Of Honor - Allied Assault

7. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

How about Football Manager?

Not too sure on the requirments, but I find that the non-time sensitive nature of it means you are less infuriated by the cramped keyboards/mice on netbooks...

8. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Footy Manager works great. Download Netbookskin and it makes everything fit nicely. Been playing 2011 on it and there is a little slow down in the 3d match engine on TV view but if you choose to appear in a left pane in split mode, no slow down!

9. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Age of Empires and CoD2 on my work laptop!

10. seedleon

seedleon What's a Dremel?

I'm running Puzzle Quest 2, Recettear and plants vs zombies on mine. Any low spec games (including many casual ones) will work.

11. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Head to abandonia.com they have some legal free classics that work with DosBox, another great site is www.gog.com they have an extensive library and most games are super cheap, drm free, and legally hacked to work with any modern version of Windows. A recent title that scales well and is great fun would be Torchlight.

12. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

It's worth getting hold of the old-but-still-very-good Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) if you're into platformers and haven't played it. It's freeware and Japanese, but there are English patches easy to get hold of and it's a fantastic game. Have a look here > http://www.cavestory.org/