1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Headset for Everything...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 9 Jan 2011.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a headset for everything....including....

Xbox gaming
    PS3 gaming
    PC gaming
    Skyping
    Listening to music
    Possibly talking over the phone but this isn't essential

I'm thinking something bluetooth would be best (does the xBox support bluetooth?)

And looking for something that gives decent quality audio for gaming, so possibly surround sound?

Budgeting £50-100 but I'd ideally like to be within the lower end of this range.

Thanks guys

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Do you want it to make you bacon sarnies in the morning as well? As far as I know such a headset does not exist, certainly not in that price range anyway. You might be able to get one which is good for some of those tasks, but not all. At any rate, do NOT get a bluetooth headset, the quality will be awful and you'll only end up paying more for it anyway.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm impressed by the Razer Banshees. Granted, I haven't had many headsets as I don't often use headphones, let alone microphone, but I do know a thing or two about sound quality and those aren't half bad. There IS excess bass, but other than that they sound good.

The ergonomics are nice, controls are easy to use and despite the size/weight, they aren't uncomfortable even for me (I have glasses, which makes many headphones uncomfy as heck).

OH now that I think of it, I have absolutely no clue about the connections on consoles. The banshees are USB.

4. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Hmm for consoles if you can stretch the budget a bit maybe check out the offerings from Turtle Beach, Tritton and Astro Gaming? I've heard good things about the Mixamp from Astro so you could get that and pair it with a cheaper headset.

5. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

I use the Turtlebeach X11's for my Xbox cause, well for the price it's awesome. Proper good sound quality as long as you look after them.

I use Plantronics GameCom 377's for my PC cause they are also, awesome. Well priced too. The turtle beaches can actually fit into the PC though so you wouldn't have to buy both but I prefer it like that cause it stops having to constantly move wires.

I'm unsure if Xbox turtle beaches work on the PS3 though.. They both go through the USB but I think some-things different about them.

Didn't answer your question but you may know where about to look now.

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The first thing that comes to mind for a headset that plugs into all of that is the Tritton AX Pro 5.1 headset. You may be able to get one within your budget if you try hunt a second-hand or refurbished model.
    Or possibly look at the Tritton AX 720 which should be just on the top-end of your budget for a brand new one.

There is also a middle price ranged model, the Tritton AX 180, but I've had no personal experience with this model so I wouldn't be able to provide any input onto the quality. It does have the same connectivity system to allow it to connect to PS3/360/PC though.

The only negative I've found with my pair of AX Pro's is the music quality isn't as good as most other headsets out there, the bass is terribly weak and the surround sound doesn't tend to work as effectively with music.

Also yes the Xbox does support Bluetooth as the wireless controllers connect via Bluetooth.
    Personally I'm not a fan of using it though as I've found it to be a bit of a battery drainer and really dislike having my equipment start to have a delay or fail in the middle of doing something.

If I remember correctly, with the wired Turtlebeach headsets you need this overpriced add-on to be able to plug the headset into both consoles as they don't provide the connectors for both on the headsets themselves.
    Unsure about whether the wireless Bluetooth ones would need any special adapter though as in theory the Bluetooth signal should be the same.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Sorry for a bit of a dead thread revival, but having looked around I am prepared to spend more than £100, maybe up to £150 but ideally no more. It better be f*cking awesome for the money and work with everything tho!

Turtle beaches look like xbox only, and although they look like they'd do the job for xbox, its gotta work with everything...

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

360 doesn't support bluetooth, it uses RF for the Joypads/headsets.

9. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

10. iElix

iElix What's a Dremel?

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

12. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

theres a good sound section on the overclockers forum

general recommendation is stereo headphones with a seporate mic, and to use a headphone amp, that could well be handy with 3 platforms so you dont have to unplug and replug all the time

13. alastor

alastor Minimodder

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Thanks for the suggestions guys, gonna look at the logitech and PX5 I think....

15. Ednory

Ednory What's a Dremel?

I recently bought a Plantronics 377 for use with a laptop (which I can no longer afford) but have started using them on my desktop PC. They sound great, probably not as good as the dedicated headphones I was using before but friends say the mic is far clearer than the standalone Logitech USB mic I was using before. They're also surprisingly light for their size.

16. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I use a turtle beach X11 for 360, but it works with pc and ps3 (but chat doesnt work on ps3). Its a really good headset and at an affordable price (£40 from tesco), and if you really want to you can buy TB's mixamp - the 7.1 DSS processor - to give it dolby surround sound, but to be honest it still sounds great without it.