1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Time to stop lurking :) Warning! Pic heavy!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Voidrunner, 13 Feb 2003.

1. Voidrunner

Voidrunner What's a Dremel?

Well, been lurking long enough now. Time to do something about it and post some of the stuff I been doing.

The case is a Compucase 6A series. The insides are practically identical to the Antec SLK3700AMB case. The bezel is very different though. Built in filter in the front, usb ports and audio ports. No damn door either.

Paint job is done with Duplicolor Truck, Van and SUV paint in Metallic Black. No clearcoat unfortunately.

The insides of the case, has been sprayed with Duplicolor Sound Dampening Underbody Spray and then pieces of Dynamat-equivalent material has been affixed on top of that on the back of the motherboard tray, inside of right sidepanel and top and bottom. Both stock fan grills were cut out and filed down.
    Inside of front blanking plates and bezel has been filled with silicone, in order to quell any errant vibration. In order to make air go almost exclusively through the filter in the front, rubber weatherstripping has been added as well to create an as airtight as possible seal between bezel and chassis.

Side blowholes have been cut into the sidepanel and two 120MM Aluminum-frame Evercool fans have been mounted with rubber washers and on top of more dynamat. Small window cutout done in sidepanel as well. Dual PCToys UV CCFL's mounted in top and bottom.
    Motherboard northbridge replaced with Zalman heatsink and Thermaltake Active Ram Cooling kit and heat spreaders affixed to system memory.

Geforce4 card has been mounted with Thermaltake's Geforce4 Copper Cooler, lapped to a more acceptable finish.

Aluminum heatsink attached to motherboard mosfets more as a precautionary measure than anything else.

And for now...That's about it. Pics!!!
    Hope you guys like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Looks nice. How did you make the UV reactive IDE cables? (or did you buy them?)

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

probably bought themm.. than again who knows.. looks like they are POSSIBLY the glow in the dark cables that I have heard are UV reactive... mat be wrong though.. looks good mate. simple but effective

4. supernismoboy

supernismoboy What's a Dremel?

i like the effect of the catodes and the UV reactive/glow in the dark IDE cables :clap:

5. SJP

SJP What's a Dremel?

Cool case!

I love the black-lighting too :clap:

The MOSFET sinks look like overkill, I just used chopped up universal-MOSFET sinks on mine.

Has the soundabsorbant matting made a real difference to noise?

6. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

nice moddin :).

Oh I got the same cable modem as you. Whos your ISP?

7. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

he might have painted them with uv reactant paint, I say this because they look exactly like my ide cables, and the only part of them that glow are the cable ends.

8. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Rockin' Rigs... welcome to the forums... er... welcome to participating in the forums!!! :rock:

9. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Welcome to insanity central. nice of you to jump in :D

Tat rig looks seriously good. I love the window, it unfortunately doesn't allow much of the inside to be seen, but the shape is beautiful :rock:

The lighting is really nice to, you've got UV ligting to work well, which is something not easily done.

My only quam is the fan filters. I think it'd look nicer if they were mounted on the inside.

Good work duder.

Chi !

EDIT: How about pics of the lighting on with teh case side closed? And what about that other one beside it, is that a window I see on it too ? Come on, stop slapping the cat with a trout. :D

10. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

really nice cases...

but more importantly, nice flashlight! I have one of those :)

11. Voidrunner

Wow, thanks for all the nice words.
    To adress some of the questions.
    The IDE cable is bought from Xoxide.com since I haven't been able to find any really nice and blue UV-reactive paint. That cable will soon be joined by another cable and I am seriously considering going postal on the wireloom and paint that with UV paint as well.
    I started out with the filters on the inside of the case and I decided that it was too much of a hassle to clean off the entire fan every now and then. I agree though. It does look better with them on the inside but some sacrifices to functionality has to be made occasionally:)
    I'll probably end up painting the fans too, although I have to be careful I don't overdo it.
    The mosfet sinks are pure overkill. No doubt about it, but I like overkill :)
    The window is fairly small, and only allows for glimpses of the insides, but I wanted that shape on there and will be adding some etching to the window itself. As far as all the sound dampening stuffs, well the case is very quiet as far as mechanical noise goes. You can barely hear the harddrives and there are practically no chatter from the case itself. But there isn't much I can do about the constant whooshing noise of four 80CFM fans, two Antec red LED fans and one Thermaltake Smartfan.
    The thought of a fanbus has crossed my mind more than once, but then I think of the wiring and my testicles travel up! at an alarming rate. As for the other case...Well alright...I'll show you what the interior used to look like :)
    Closeup of interior of the Antec case. Before I moved everything to the new one and built my server up in the Compucase.
    [​IMG]

Shot with side off. Notice UVcable :)
    [​IMG]

And here is what my desk used to look like.
    [​IMG]

There, that's all I got for now.
    Thanks for the nice welcome.

12. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

hehe. The ld case looks nice to.

Also when I said putting the filters on the inside, I just meant to put them on the inside of the case panel, then sandwich them between the side panel and the fans. :D

Also I've got close to a dozen fans in my rig, which sits about four feet form where I sleep, and I don't have nay trouble. Feh on teh fan bus I say :D

Also you might want to see a doctor about the large amount of testicular movement, that probably isn't very healthy.

Being a lurker, I'm sure you know, that Linear, Macro, Zappy and all the other electronuts on here can help you with the wiring. :D

Cheers:

13. Voidrunner

Heh, that's not a bad idea with the filters...Interesting.
    As far as the wiring goes...I can do it, but I don't want to :)
    Call me lazy, I guess but the thought of having to extend all those wires and such, just doesn't sit too well with me right now. Maybe at a later date.

I'm also toying with the idea of ducting the top 120MM fan to the cpu cooler. Possibly even removing the fan that's on there all together. Anybody ever done that? And if they did, what was the results???

14. Voidrunner

Gah! I just noticed I made a complete and utter stupid typo in one of the above posts. It says:"Before I moved everything to the new one and built my server up in the Compucase."

It should say:"Before I moved everything to the new one and built my server up in the Antec."

15. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

IS THAT A TRIBES DIAMOND SWORD LOGO I SEE IN THE SIDE OF THAT CASE!!!!

TRIBES OWNS

16. Cyberdome

Cyberdome What's a Dremel?

hey , wanna ask something .. the Antec you have there .. does it come in Alu series ??

17. Voidrunner

Actually it is a Diamond Sword emblem, I just changed it a bit.
    Here's the logo in it's final form

[​IMG]

And as far as the Antec case goes...I have no idea if it does come in aluminum. I don't think it does, but I'm not certain. It's a standard Antec SX800 series case.

18. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

very nice. love the modded tribes symbol :rock:

19. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

:jawdrop:

That is bloody amazing.

Dude. Very nice. :rock:

20. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

Hey looks good, while you're at it with the UV fun, I'm not sure if Japala posted his latest so here goes: UV Drawing That might look good in there. Also the clear blue UV reactive stuff you want is Conformal Coating, you can get some at most electronic stores. If you look at macroman's tut on painting fans, you'll see it used there. It looks very good on shiny objects, white spiral wrap, plexi glass...etc.

peace.
    unloaded