1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Help me decide how to get out of my Sandy Bridge nightmare

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TAG, 10 Feb 2011.

1. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I bought a 2600k and P8P67 Pro platform on January 9th from pixmania.ie
    It worked great for about 12 days and then all of a sudden I couldn't boot into windows.

---> Windows BSOD says:
    The system encountered an uncorrectable hardware error
    0x00000124
    ---> Linux live cd boot (from usb stick) says:
    no human readableMCE decosing support on this CPU type
    This is not a software problem
    Machine check: Processor context corrupt
    kernel panic - not syncing: fatal machine check
    ---> Did a memtest --> no errors
    ---> Windows setup fails while loading
    ---> I reset bios settings
    ---> I even foolishly (although it went smoothly) flashed the BIOS
    ---x One thing I forgot to do is reet the bios by removing the CMOS battery, I did do it with the jumper switch though.

But the same problems persisted..
    Unsure whether the CPU or motherboard was at fault, but knowing that Pixmania doesn't have the P8P67 Pro boards anymore (because of the intel sata fail) I decided to RMA the CPU.

Pixmania received the CPU yesterday and today I receive an email that goes:
    We wish to inform you that your product has been sent to the manufacturer for technical testing. The results of which will be sent to you within 21 working days.

That's 3 more weeks of downtime, I almost feel like crying! I sold my Q6600 platform, I don't have a desktop anymore, I'm not sure what to do.
    I feel like buying a 2500k hoping that the motherboard has nothing wrong (aside from sata).

What would you do?

Isn't there a European law stating that within 1 month of purchase, RMA is handled by the reseller and not the manufacturer? Thats what Intel told me when they redirected me to pixmania.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2011
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]

Na, in all honesty, sounds like a dying HDD.

3. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

You don't need an HDD to boot a linux live CD, so I don't think so

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Remind me not to buy anything of pixmania.

That's terrible terrible service.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ah, didn't read that. What ports are your optical and HDD plugged into? 3Gbps or 6Gbps?

Tbh I'd be tempted to go to pixmania and go "WTF, where's my replacement or refund!?" 21 days is unacceptable.

EDIT: your live CD is telling your the CPU is not supported.

6. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

SSD is on SATA0, optical is on one of the faulty ones but it wasn't used in my testing
    Windows setup was attempted from USB, so was the linux live "cd"
    Ubuntu 10.10 usually tests fine with sandy bridge when you don't try to use the GPU with H67.

I wouldn't mind going to pixmania but they're in France ...
    Isn't there a European law stating that within 1 month of purchase, RMA is handled by the reseller and not the manufacturer? Thats what Intel told me when they redirected me to pixmania.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2011
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Unfortunately pixmania are cheap but ****. :( Tbh, I don't know - unless you've got other kit to test stuff in it's difficult to narrow it down.

8. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

I might buy a 2500k and try to sell it later on. Or use it in a NAS I'm thinking of building, making it really overkill.

I feel betrayed by pixmania, they handled my CPU like a hot potatoe, they better handle my P67 RMA really well when that time comes.
    One thing's for sure I'll never buy from them again.

ps: thx for the thread move Bindibadgi

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Buy a cheap Sandy Bridge, then use that for the NAS? a) save money b) it'll still work in P67

10. vsmora

vsmora What's a Dremel?

Buy another CPU from a UK retailer. If it works then you know the original CPU was faulty so you can keep the new one and tell Pix you will want a refund once they have confirmed the fault; your credit-card company may be more help here if Pix are reluctant (Consumer Credit Act - Equal Liability). If the new CPU doesn't work, then return it quickly under DSRs and RMA your board (or get a refund) and work out what to do till April and B3.

11. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Well, I just ordered a 2500k :(
    Should be here by monday. I'll report back here when I know more

12. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

No, it's 1 year for retail products. And by the sound of things they are actually doing that, otherwise they would have told *you* to send it direct to Intel at cost to you.

Sucks, mind you, many suppliers offer a grace DOA period, though in your case even Scan would not necessarily be offering you anything either.

TBH, though, it sounds like it could just as easily be the board, not the CPU, that is the problem.

13. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Yeah that's my fear as well. I'll probably end up buying a new board from scan too :(
    fml

14. Ringo1

Ringo1 What's a Dremel?

Although it's correct that this problem could be caused by either a faulty motherboard or processor, it's always been caused by processor issues on the occasions that I've seen it. Twice I've had this on faulty processors (requiring replacement) and once on an over-aggressive overclock (the problem disappeared once we clocked the 2500K back down to 4.3GHz). This last issue could conceivably have been caused by the motherboard being too stressed.

I hope Pixmania are just covering their ass when they say 21 days. Whenever I've returned processors to Intel they've had a new (boxed) one out to me within 2 days as an advance replacement. We're only a tiny OEM and have only returned three processors in ten years so I'm sure Pixmania get the same treatment or better.

Even though it's my job, I can get pretty pissy if people phone up demanding better service. I normally choose my words carefully and avoid getting people's hopes up. From bitter experience I've learnt not to count on a supplier coming through until the product is in my sweaty palm. On the other hand if they call and say "Is there anything information I can provide to speed things up? I'm pretty desperate for my machine back." then they'll often find that I forget to charge them postage.

I'm sure everything will turn out OK.

15. Ringo1

Ringo1 What's a Dremel?

I've seen stop 0x00000124 problems three times. Had to return two processors to Intel, the other one (a 2500K) just needed to be clocked back down to 4.3GHz. Hopefully this means you won't need a new motherboard, but it's not conclusive.

Intel sent an advance replacement processor (new and boxed would you believe?) within two days of learning that mine was fried. We're only a small OEM and we return only one processor every three years on average, but they give us great service anyway.

Hopefully Pixmania get the same service and they're just covering their asses. You can never tell when a supplier will let you down and it often pays not to get clients' hopes up.

Even though it's my job to provide a service I can still get pretty pissy if angry people call up and demand satisfaction. On the other hand if you call and say "Is there any info I can give that'll speed things up? I'm pretty desperate out here." you'll sometimes find that I forget to charge postage.

I'm sure things will work out for you.

16. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Thanks Ringo, that's all very interesting :)
    I gotta say, it sounds a little scary for SB users that in a 10 year period, a third of your CPU returns happened on sandybridge within the last month !!

17. Ringo1

Ringo1 What's a Dremel?

My recent dead CPU was only a QX9650. The 2500K only gave errors at 4.5GHz, but was fine at 4.3GHz so that one did not need to be returned.

Actually all three of the dead Intel CPUs were core2duo or core2quad.

The old Pentium 4 processors never died. In fact the office is overflowing with P4 CPUs that work fine but their motherboards have failed. If someone wants to take them off my hands I could post out a box of them!

18. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

21 working days is four weeks in real money.
    Pixmania is owned by Dixons Stores Group aka PCWorld, Currys etc.
    Try getting hold of a copy of the French Consumer Code see where you stand in law about the excessive time taken for testing.

19. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

2500k dropped in place of the RMA'ed 2600k
    PC is now working correctly !

20. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Happy to report my 2600k has just been refunded !