1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Crysis 2 leaked

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tennisball, 11 Feb 2011.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Why? Bit-tech can't be seen as a place that condones illegal activities. What next? how to cook your own crystal meth? (note: I am not comparing piracy to doing drugs, it was simply an example that was meant to be humorous)

2. 8 Bit Charlie

8 Bit Charlie What's a Dremel?

Sorry to be a newby "quoter" but do you really think it's ok to pirate something if it's been a success, or hit some arbitrary quota (1 million sales in your case)?

I consider myself a gamer and will play games on consoles or pc, dependant mainly on how many friends will be playing it on a particular platform. That said my first love is pc gaming and I want it to prosper as I’m sure most people on this forum do (I've been a lurker for a couple of years so I hope I'm not speaking out of turn). Hopefully Crysis 2 wil be worth getting hold of on a gameplay and technical level, and I will certainly buy it if it is.

At best I hope this is a publicity stunt to drum up interest. At worst though this makes me worry about pc gaming. Pc games are typically priced lower than consoles games, they must require more testing than fixed hardware platforms such as consoles, and they have the most demanding and critical consumer base. To top it off the pc is the only platform that has a user base that has in some cases seen fit to impose a try before you buy sales model for itself (via torrents or whatever else, and I bet many don't buy after the "try").

For what it's worth I'm a developer myself, mostly of public safety systems so were watching you. I also worked next to free-radical for a few years before they went bust or got bought out by Crytek, I don’t know the details. All I can say is in all the years I worked next them, the developers were nice guys on not a lot of money by the looks of things but with a passion for (mainly pc) gaming. That's not to say the car park didnt contain a few exec 911s and Ferraris on most days.

red4our likes this.
  3. evanjdooner

evanjdooner Booty like POW!

Yeah, how dare people want to be more informed about their purchases, especially where their disposable income is involved. And how dare people try something and not think it's worth paying for. That is the fault of consumers, not developers. Who needs to make a compelling reason to purchase a game? They made a game, they DESERVE to be compensated. That's how business works, right?

4. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

There are enough reviews and videos of games that you should be able to make an informed decision based on your own tastes and the information in the reviews ( from trusted reviewers of course ). The argument of try before you buy is just ridiculous. You don't try movies before you see them in the theater do you? No, you read reviews and watch trailers, and make an informed decision based on the info and your tastes before you see a movie in theaters. Price difference aside (more/less expensive) the analogy can be applied to almost anything you buy. You don't steal whatever it is you're going to buy first and then say, "hey I actually do like this, I guess I'll buy it."

5. 8 Bit Charlie

8 Bit Charlie What's a Dremel?

Basically yes, that is how most commerce works. Do you go to see the start of a play before deciding it it's worth the money? Do you read the first half of a book in waterstones before deciding to buy it? Watch half of a film (maybe pay on the way out on dependant on how much you enjoyed it), jump out of a fair ground ride half way round, etc, etc. (These are contrived examples but in each case you may chosen to read a (bit-tech)review before handing over your cash)

I'm not saying I don't understand your view as games are expensive now, I'm really on your side on that issue. The problem is if a market starts to dictate it's own rules in that fashion then companies will see it as a massive risk. I understand the ethos of "if I like it then I'll buy it" but the problem is many won't buy it as they already have it. If you say to games developers, "i'll download your game pretty much play it though and then decide if I want to give you my £25" they're a lot more likey to just think we may as well just develop for consoles where it's much harder for the average owner to copy games.

Sorry if I got your back up, it really wasn't the point of my post. I was just pointing out why software houses might be put off developing for the pc in the long run if that model were to persist.

6. Nature

Nature Minimodder

"In the light of this news, it's likely worth restating bit-gamer's position on discussion of piracy, namely that linking to or asking for illegal downloads will result in bans from the forum. Similarly, anyone offering advice on how to pirate games or seen to be inciting or encouraging piracy will be banned from the bit-gamer forums. "

Originally Posted by Centy-face
    Personally I am finding this hilarious. Crytek were crying like little babies about piracy despite selling more than 1 million copies of Crysis and now they ran off to the safety of the consoles. Adding in a little to late with no PC beta the one platform that truly needs a bug testing beta and now through their own or EA's ineptitude the entire game is now in the wild.

I think this posting is a dangerous and sinister attitude and this user should be addressed immediately by the bit-tech administrators as it clearly demonstrates and postulates feelings of empathy for piracy and can be viewed and even encourage some to have similar attitudes. Rhetoric like this can sway the readers of the forums to have opinionated politics of burglary and criminal acts that incrementally justify pirating.

If these "pirates" (which are speculated to have networked those in Somalia and other nefarious underworld elements) legitimize their right to steal from these companies and rob them of their intellectual property rights forcing them into poverty and essentially turning them into slaves by making them work free of charge. They, themselves become slave owners and users such as "Centy-Face" (which my sources tell me is an alias) become their propaganda spokespersons distributing a message discriminant bondage... And I support and commend Bit-tech completely in their zero tolerance policy and immediate banning of any kind of "encouragement" or "incitement" toward an issue with no gray area.

7. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
    Seems to be true, its all over Piratebay.

What's this "Piratebay" you're referring to... :p

Suggestive and sarcastic comments such as this can land you in the headlights of Bit-Tech's "Ministry of Modding" which is a place I fear you will find quite uncomfortable...

8. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I just checked around the web to see if the downloads were real, seems fake. According to commenters every download requires a password that apparently leads to a survey site that fails to give a working password once the survey is complete.

9. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Didn't mean to offend the NanosuitNinja just interested in the hardware requirements on the current build

modest systems seem to attain good framerates even when when recording with fraps with the current DX9 build maxed

No fraps Specs 1680x1050
    i5 750 @ 4.2Ghz (1.34v)
    2x2GB GSkill ECO 1600 MHz
    GA-P55-UD6
    GTX 480 @ 850/1700/2000 (at 1050mV default vid of 0.954mV

He doesnt dip from 60 fps with max settings on the half baked release

Last edited: 12 Feb 2011
  10. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

I didnt really enjoy the first game but after it got pirated into its glory and didnt sell that well I felt bad. I know people will claim that it sold over a million copies, but the period it took to do so was quite long. A lot of those million copies were sold at lower prices. Every single one of my friends had played and finished crysis and not one of them bought it. In fact, out of all the people I know that played it and benchmarked with it, i doubt 1% had bought it.

Piracy is seriously hurting the PC game industry. even if the affects arent as bad as its made out to be, the stigma alone causes producers and publishers to be more hesistant in investing in PC versions. I'm gonna get flamed for this but I really appreciate EA as a publisher lately, as they practically do not have any console exclusives anymore.

I'm gonna buy crysis 2 just cause i pirated crysis and well from everything I've seen online it lokos like it has more potential than crysis.

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Oh FFS. This is not what we needed. :(

Surely we haven't had a PC game leak this early since Doom 3?

12. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

You can tell he's trying his hardest not to get a quick sneak peak in :p

13. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

Im gonna buy it, even more now that it is leaked. Crytec is one of the very last devs that really support PC gaming, so we should support them !

14. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

obviously there's an insider at work here, either that or as other people have stated it was intentionally leaked so they can dump the PC platform altogether with an excuse. Crysis, I remember was also leaked early? but maybe only by a few days? I can't remember.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Please don't spoil the game for others peeps, and remember early code does not equal final product.

fuus likes this.
  16. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

Great shame for crytec. If it is only the dx9 build it maywell put people off also - bit like ts movies

17. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Ouch, that really sucks. Crytek have been working on this for ages, and to see it leaked almost in its entirety before it even goes on sale must be gutting.

That being said, I've been looking at the screenies in the Facepunch thread and it looks good graphically. Some scenes (inner city ones) looking pretty nice, some landscape ones looking awesome. Seems similar to Crysis 1 IMO, but naturally will be hard to tell without buying the game in March.

The game does seem to look better on low and medium settings, which would obviously make sense since it's a console release too.

18. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

Every game turns up on the sharing sites. Pretty much every game gets cracked. PC, consoles, handhelds and phones. The main difference here is the leak of the master key which will probably make it a lot easier for people pirating the game to play multiplayer.

I doubt this will affect sales much; the people who pirate games will still pirate it, the people who buy games aren't suddenly going to become pirates. Might miss out on a few sales to the people in the middle ground.

19. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

This is f**king sad news. I have no intention of downloading or even fuelling this bullsh*t .

20. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

That is so lame. It's hard enough to keep them making games for PCs these days, they have even less reason to bother with things like this happening. In this situation I hope as many of these pirates as possible get busted.

I volunteer to stomp each one of them I find :)