1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dragon Age II Demo out [PC] 5pm UK time

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 22 Feb 2011.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

The demo ran absolutely fine on my pc. Ran better than the original da. Loading times always got on my nerves in the original, which they seemed to have fixed. Still don't like the combat though. It feels too chaotic. Even when I pause and give my orders the characters and enemies are all bunched together in a big fighting orgy and it makes it very confusing. Don't think I'll get this.

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Great demo! The only bad thing I can say about it is that it wasn't the full game so I could keep playing.

3. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Got to say I wasn't impressed... Couldn't even be bothered to finish it, though I may have another go tonight. It definitely feels dumbed down, and I know the combat is faster and more action-packed, but it feels too much like a hack n' slash. Also, too many cut-scenes with cheesy, cliché dialogue.

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

That's what the space bar is for, you can pause combat and instruct your party members.

5. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

Really disappointed feels like a totally different game to the first one which was one of my favorite games last year. Probably buy it if I see it for a tenner towards the end of the year but not getting it full price. I will say it ran smooth at pretty high settings on my old ass machine which was good - so if you do fancy it don't worry about needing a killer rig to play it on.

6. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I don't see how everyone is comparing it to a Hack n' Slash?

Like people have said, the combat has been sped up, but in reality it's just as if you took the first game and sped up all the animations. Abilities are slightly more spammable with the cooldowns being lowered, however even then it feels more like MMORPG combat, rather than a Hack n' Slash.

In no way does DA2 require the physical dexterity and timing compared to your traditional Hack n' Slash games such as Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 4 or Darksiders... hell, the combat's not even like Arkham Asylum.

7. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

Having recently finished DA:O and enjoying it I was looking forward to this demo and was not disapponted. I thought it was excellent to be honest. The combat seems faster and more exiting whilst still giving you the pause spacebar thingy.

The only downer is that they seem to have discarded the ability to zoom right out for an overview of the proceedings.

Technically the demo ran like balls at first and then miraculously ran awesomely when I switched to dx9 then back to dx11.

If this gets reasonably good reviews this a purchase for me.

Eddie

Last edited: 24 Feb 2011
  8. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Just finished the demo as well... looking forward to the full game! Definitely keeping my pre-order :)

I've got a question though - did Flemeth take a sabbatical in a JRPG? She looks... hmm :confused:

9. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Well I just gave it another go and saw it through to the end. I think perhaps I was too quick to call it a Hack n' Slash. Like you said, it's actually that the animations are just a lot quicker. Later on there are also more dialogue options, whereas at the start it didn't really feel like there was much to say, and the options were rather bland.

It's definitely growing on me. Although one thing I still don't like is the style of the in-game UI. I much preferred the original, with it's old school RPG llok and feel.

10. TCoZ

TCoZ Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

I had a lot of fun with the demo, but seriously, what's up with the controls? Why are moving, controlling the camera and attacking all right mouse button? Why doesn't WASD turn you as opposed to just telling you which direction to go? Very confusing/annoying.

11. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

From off the top of my head:

I believe the reason why WASD isn't working the way you expect is because you're holding down the right mouse button which locks the camera, which makes turning the camera with A/D rather pointless.

Although the controls are intially hard to grasp, you should be using A/D to rotate the camera and then either clicking on an enemy once to select him for an ability or a single right click for attacking. Pausing with space is discretionary.

The main problem that i assume people are having (what with all the complaints about right click move etc.) is that people see the sped up animations and like others have pointed out, play it similar to a Hack n' Slash, spamming right click in the hopes it will make their attacks faster/more effective.

It's a similar problem that i had with MMOs (which use pretty much the exact same system) and you simply have to learn to control your character's movement with the left hand WASD, whilst only using the mouse to select and give a single, specific order to auto-attack.

IMO, the right mouse button "hold to move rotate the camera around" is only used for adjusting the tilt/perspective of the camera and/or when travelling/paused.

12. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

PC GAMER in the uk gave it 94% said more fun to play the DA 1 and its over a 10 years so what you decided in year 1 can affect what happens by the end i played the demo and enjoyed it

13. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

Buzzin man!

14. TCoZ

TCoZ Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

Thanks, just played through the demo again and the controls made much more sense.