1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme folding help

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by crazy95, 17 Feb 2011.

1. crazy95

crazy95 What's a Dremel?

ok so ive been folding for a bit with a 570 and i want to use my whole system

i7920 4ghz
    2 gtx 570's
    and i want farcore

can some one tell me on how to set it all up

2. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I have used this guide to set up the multiple GPU's

http://www.evga.com/forumsarchive/tm.asp?m=100553642

However, I would urge caution as the efficiency of your system may be compromised if you are trying to fold BIGADV units on your CPU. There's plenty of material around here on BIT-TECH about that....

3. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Instructions for setting up the SMP client can be found here. I think an i7-920 at 4GHz will only be fast enough to complete -bigadv workunits if you run 24/7, but if you can't run the PC like that then run the ordinary workunits (don't add the -bigadv flag). The quick return bonus still applies to these, so get a passkey, complete the first 10 units, complete 80% of the units you are given and you'll see your score start to climb. HFM.NET will show show you the points including the bonus, even for the first 10 units.

Tattysnuc is correct, running the GPU3 clients does impact on the CPU, but usually people find that their total points go up. You will probably need to try it out to find what works best on your system. I use this guide for setting up multiple GPU clients.

Do you have the two GTX570s installed right next to each other? How good is the airflow?

Can't help you with Farcore - what is it?

4. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

Do you mean fahcore that is the 'core' folding application? It comes as part of the install anyway, so you don't have to do anything particularly. It will be in different 'flavours' depending on whether it is to do with the CPU or GPU - such as fahcore_15.exe or fahcore_a3.exe, but you'll only really notice that in task manager or the like. I have a 980X and two GPUs only took between 2% and 3% of the CPUs attention, a less powerful CPU would be 'distracted' more. If you can complete bigadv WUs with this 'drain' on the CPU that would be great, if not then the GPUs will give you worthwhile ppd :D

5. crazy95

crazy95 What's a Dremel?

its ok as the fans and the shroud around it are not full 2 slot like the rest of the card

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Just to let you know - extreme folding means something different in this team ; )

7. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Interesting - I thought that might be the case from looking at pictures, but it's good to have it confirmed by an actual owner. So a folding machine with four GTX570s may not be a completely bonkers idea, after all the title is extreme folding :D

8. crazy95

crazy95 What's a Dremel?

if i was doing 4 way folding i would add some fans to cool them a bit more

9. Mal_W

Mal_W What's a Dremel?

I've got an Antec 1200 case.Fitted with a Palit gtx570 on a Gigabyte UD3R board, the second slot was visible,but looked too close,and would have blocked the gtx570 fan input. So i put a 260 gfx card in the third slot down just to try it out. When folding;running the 570 on its own the temp was 76C. When i put the second card in; with the less airflow to the 570 intake, (even with a gfx card on the third slot) the temp went up to 86C, so i took the 2nd card out, and just ran one.
    I know the 480's ran hotter,but i didn,t want to run the card at 86C. (i don,t fold 24/7).

10. crazy95

crazy95 What's a Dremel?

if you get msi afterburner and make a good fan speed chart it can keep cool and reasonably quiet when folding it is around 65c and not loud.

you could always get a phantom cooler as its alot better than stock

11. Mal_W

Mal_W What's a Dremel?

Have not tried afterburner . Did use GPU-Z ( I think !!! ) on previous ATI card to adjust fan speed, but it seemed to lose the fan adjust menu for fermi cards. Just noticed the room temp's 22C and the gfx card's a warm 84C, so just turned the radiator off. GFX fan spinning at 60%......I thought i was getting a bit warm.