1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking My i7-920 - But some BIOS setting are uneditable

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by chachee01, 24 Feb 2011.

1. chachee01

chachee01 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Given the great OC guide in this months CPC on overclocking my i7-920, Ive decided to get it done for more PPD.

Howevere following the instructions given by CPC. After setting AI Overclock TUner to manual, I cant change the CPU multiplier setting to x20 in the BIOS. Won't let me edit it at all. Same goes for QPI frequency. I am worried I will damage something if I dont set the multiplier right.

I have downloaded the lastest BIOS from Asus (mobo is a p6t deluxe v2) but I dont know how to install it.

Some quick google searches tell me to clear the CMOS and pull the battery out of my mobo for 10 mins. Would you guys recommend this?

Any help would be much appreciated so I can get this baby folding at full power
    Regards

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Disable turbo boost and speedstep. These control your multi.

3. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

ASUS have their own utility that allows you to update the BIOS from Windows, so you needn't mess around with the CMOS battery or floppy discs. You can download the utility or it should be on the drivers disc that came with the motherboard. Updating still carries some risks, and I've found the ASUS websites to be unstable, so I strongly recommend downloading and saving the new BIOS on your machine, then update using the locally stored option. Instructions are here.

When you restart after the updates, everything may start with no difficulties. Listen out for any beeps, which will be BIOS error messages. I've sometimes found it necessary to remove all but the primary graphics card before the machine will boot. Other times I've found I need to go into the new BIOS and select Fail-Safe Options (or whatever ASUS call it), then do a full reboot, then go back into the BIOS and select the Optimised Settings.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2011
  4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

If you can't change a setting, then you are unlikely to damage anything.

Are you experienced with navigating the BIOS? Usually you need to use the arrow keys to select the item you want, then either you just type in the new value, or you have to hit Enter to get a pull down menu. I've got that same board, and don't recall any particularly strange behaviour. I think there is a tutorial on YouTube for this board or other X58 ASUS boards. Its probably easier to understand rather than us writing reams. Also read the manual.

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

What Ph4ZeD said mate to let you manually set multi, I have 2 of these P6T Deluxe's and both overclock like the wind blows :D

6. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Same as coolamasta says, I also have two of them and they work like a dream at 19x200 (rather than 20x190). That way you get bang on 1600 for the memory rather than 1520.

P.S. Don't update the bios unless you absolutely have too, it does carry a small risk of bricking the mobo.

7. chachee01

chachee01 What's a Dremel?

So i tried what Ph4ZeD said, set all the values latest CPC suggested, blue screen while windows boots :(

So I undid the overclock, dont think I will try again, something is clearly wrong and I dont know enough to find the perfect settings. THanks for the help