1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling New build - too warm

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by buje, 21 Mar 2011.

1. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

Hi,

So I built my computer over the weekend - New build. Actually bought 8gb of RAM.

The CPU (i5-2500k) at stock speed runs at 38c idle with the mobo running at 28c. When I overclock the CPU to 4.3ghz and run a stress test the CPU hits about 70c which from reading the overclocking article in custompc is too high as it shouldnt go over 60c when overclocked to 4.5ghz.

My case is a fractal R3 and there are two fans at the front sucking air in a fan on the cooler blowing air across the cooler toward the rear and two fans at the rear sucking out out the top and the back.

Does this sound like I have the airflow set up correctly and that the thermal paste might not be set properly?

What temps should I be getting at idle?

Any tips for reapplying the thermal paste? Do you just scrape it off and start again?

Thanks

Apophis54 likes this.
  2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Dont scrap it off use some proper remover and apply a rice grain sized blob in the middle of cpu and refix cooler.

Apophis54 likes this.
  3. Deders

Deders Modder

Some people recommend a thin line down the middle for quad core, on the same axis as the core direction.

70 isn't too much if you don't tend to stress your CPU that much, mine goes just above 70 on a hot day if I stress test it, but in general usage it doesn't go above 60.

4. khalmar

khalmar What's a Dremel?

38c idle and 70 full load is within the normal range. Applying the tim correctly can make a difference also remember it takes a while to set so check the temps after a few days,

Have you run at full load for a few hours? as long as it doesn’t go over 70 you should be alright. what’s your full spec as some of the components can make a difference like psu and graphics card blowing hot air around.

You can remove the tim with a lint free non static cloth or leather rag although a proper removal solution is recommended. Also what tim are you using?
    You can remove the tim with a lint free none static cloth or leather rag although a proper removel solution is recommended.

Apophis54 likes this.
  5. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

What has been said above really. Are you using the stock heatsink/fan or do you have an aftermarket cooler. If so, are you sure you installed it correctly? Did you apply the thermal paste properly? It's usually best to stick with the instructions in your CPU Cooler, but either way you don't want to use much - it's only meant to fill in the microscopic imperfections in the two surfaces. As has been mentioned, there is also a curing time for the thermal paste to have full effect. Let us know how you get on!

6. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

I think I might have used too much thermal paste. The temps now on day two are lower, hitting 57,63,67,63 on each core but this in only with a 3.5ghz OC.

I used a credit card and spread the paste but it kept ending on on the credit card so I had to add more a few times.

Looking online quite a lot of people seem to just put a pea size amount and let the heatsink spread the paste when you attach it.

The cooler is a gelid tranquillo and I am using the paste that came with that.

I will give it a few days but I think I will need to reapply the paste. What is the best way to remove it from the CPU - I am scared I might break it if I apply some alcohol substance to it.

7. khalmar

khalmar What's a Dremel?

you can remove the Tim with a damp cloth on your heatsink, just make sure its dry before reinstalling. I have never used anything other than a non-stactic cloth to remove from the CPU, its not like its been on long enough to get really caked on so you should be fine.

To be honest i would ask yourself if it was worth re applying the Tim.
    38c idel is normal and will not damage your CPU. Run a game, open iTunes, open a web page or two and uninstall a program at the same time? that’s a more realist temp check. Having a stable 70c after a few hours of stress testing is fine. In reality you wont be using 100% of all 4 cores.

hitting 57,63,67,63 on each core but this in only with a 3.5ghz Is this under full load?

8. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

i am hitting 28c at idle 60c using prime at 3.3ghz and 70c under prime95 overclocked to 4.5ghz bearing in mind i am using a water cooler.

9. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

Yes that is under full load with a small overclock, I would like to get nearer to 4.5ghz if I can. I am at work at the moment so I cant check but the GPU (MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti TWIN FROZR II)sits at around 30 and doesnt get higher than 50c. Although I will double check the exact figures later.

I am thinking that the fact that one core is 5c higher i may be able to reapply so they are all similar temps.

10. Mechraven

Mechraven %$£" it's broken again !!

Hey there !

A few things to consider before you re apply thermal paste>>>

1) The air flow and temperatures outside of your case dictates to some degree the temps inside ( obvious i know but :p ) so the hotter the air outside the hotter the inside, but also airflow within the room is important !

2) Sounds like the airflow in your case is pretty good, the Gelid Tranquillo is a good cooler but the Thermaltake Frio or Be Quiet Dark rock Advanced will shave a few more degrees off !

3) On all Intel Quad cores there is one core that generally runs hotter than the others but the cpu does alternate the cores periodically so no one core is hotter all of the time. Does this on my Q6600.

4) The difference between thermal pastes ranges from 1-10C, maybe try another brand of thermal paste, i use Arctic MX3.

5) The correct amount and application of thermal paste. You want a blob the size of a grain of rice or two lentils in the centre of the cpu heatsink. Use the Heatsink & fan unit to apply a small preasure to spread out the paste and fix down. Too much paste and you will have the cpu pushing heat through a sludge of grease, too little and you will have metal on metal and great heat spikes, follow the above and you'll be fine. I would recommend against spreading the paste as this leaves air gaps causing higher temps in my experience.

6) Finally, it takes around 300hrs of PC use before any thermal paste is fully ( Cured ) set so leave it a few days to a week before temps settle.

Hope this advice helps ! :D

I run a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Overclocked on a Coolit ECO ALC with twin 1900rpm Scythe Fans and Arctic MX3 thermal paste. Temps IDLE 24C LOAD 46C Prime 95 after 7 hours room temp 23C :D :D It took me 3 applications to get it perfect :D

11. Sagman76

Sagman76 What's a Dremel?

Hi
    Sorry to jump on your thread but started my build last night Fractal R3/i5k MSI twin frozr and corsair vengeance ram. This is where the problem is they are too high for the for my artic cooler rev 2 so I have had to face it the other way. Will this be ok? Or should I mount it with fan towards another direction? I have 2 sharkoon quiet fans one of which I was going to put in front and one in roof any help and advise would really appreciated as this is my first build. I want optimal cooling. Shall I buy a different cooler?
    Thank you all in advance
    Stuart

12. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

Ok. I decided to replace the TIM as I thought I can do a better job this time round.

I had to remove the ram to get the cooler off.

Once I peiced everything together the computer would not post and so i started to panic. I thought I might have damaged the CPU somehow.

It turns out now that one of the sticks of ram seems to be faulty. I have 2x4gb of corsair RAM. I am a bit confused as to how this happened as I only removed the RAM and placed it on the side then placed it back in. I have tried it on its own in a different slot and it doesnt seem to help.

Any ideas if it was just faulty? I am quite confused. I might make another thread about this problem..

13. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

LOL fixed it, ram wasnt fully in although it had snapped into place, not used to a motherboard with only one side that has the lever that snaps in.