1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory 6 GB ram is only appearing as 4gb?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Solus, 31 Mar 2011.

1. Solus

Solus What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Iv got 6gb cosair Ram attached, its triple channel and iv attached it to the correct positions, if I run dxdiag it reads that I have 6144mb of Ram; which would be correct.

However, I realised that my physical memory/ Ram usage was up-to 79 - 90 % on the CPU Gadget which can be used on Windows 7. I ran Task manager, and in 'performance' it reads that the current memory usage is around 3gb, and that my total physical memory is 4094mb, which would mean that I'm not running 2048mb of my ram for some reason.

The ram is all attached properly in the correct positions, so I don't think this is a problem with instalment. Especially as in Dxdiag it does read that there is 6gb of ram.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Bill. ^^

2. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

What version of windows are you running? Is it Windows 7 32 bit by any chance?

Right click "My computer" and click properties, and tell me what it says next to "System type".

If it is 32 bit then I think Win 7 32 bit can only see 3-4 gigs of ram.

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Pretty much. Make sure it's 64bit otherwise it can only show 3.2Gb or ram.

Run CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Go to the memory tab and see what shows up.

If you still have problems you may have to run MemTest.

Also do the simple things like making sure the ram in secured in the correct slots.

Is it a Socket 1336 system you are running?

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

This actually occurs on a friend's 6GB i7 920 system, despite running W7 64bit Home Premium, I think it's to do with the fact that most things quote W7 systems as having 2.7+ GB of Vram.

Should still run Triple-Channel mode, however, as that's a Mobo-level feature.

SImplified version: W7 lumps all the memory together, dishes out 4GB for OS, extra for GPU and other crap.

There's also no way of turning off the Memory Division in W7 to my knowledge. Frustrating, but not the end of the world. Yet.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2011
  5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

What mobo is it in, I'm sensing a UD3

6. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I thought that aswell, but he is getting 6gb when he runs dxdiag :eyebrow:

Arrgh: We need a strokes beard smiley on this

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I get 12 on mine on CPU-Z but windows says only 8 or 11 usable and everytime I boot up is says recovering lost DRAM and cycles 4 or 5 times,before booting. But if I run 6Gb it works fine. I would suggest swapping slots and trying that, then the usual stuff like bent pins etc.

8. Solus

Solus What's a Dremel?

I'm running a 64 bit version of windows 7. and its a socket 1366, (i7 930), and yea the mobo is the x58A - UD3R, its the rev 2.

I also ran the CPU-Z programme, which says Im running 6gb (6144mb), but it also says dual channel? I have re-ensured my Ram is in the correct slots, and is fitted correctly.

9. Solus

Solus What's a Dremel?

I have ran CPU-Z, it says 6GB (6144mb) but also dual channel. Even though they are in the correct positions.

My mobo is a X58A-UD3R rev 2, then OS is Win7 64 bit. And It is a 1366 socket, with a i7 930.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Which mobo?

Take out the sticks and use a soft rubber to clean the contacts.

Increase memory voltage and VTT/QPI voltage, or try XMP. If the XMP is well coded it'll do all that automatically on an X58 board.

11. TehKrak3n

TehKrak3n What's a Dremel?

A m8 of mine had a problem similar to this (I am assuming ur runnin 64 bit if u got more than 4GB) - solved it by putting the sticks in different dimms - dunno y that worked though

12. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Yep that trick works on faulty Asus P6T SE boards, but then drops to single channel mode.