1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla tackles slow Firefox add-ons

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Apr 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This. Without the addons it's just another browser.

NoScript and FireGestures have me hooked!

2. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I use IE8 and MS Security Essentials. My browsing is it a bit unscrupulous. The combination of the two with the Windows Firewall have seemed to protected my PC so far.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  3. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I gave up on FF back when it's memory-hogging tendencies were a problem (eating 500MB in a system with 768MB.) Now that it's not a concern (it's still a hog, but now I've got 6GB), I see no reason to go back. I miss some of the add-ons, but they didn't add huge amounts of functionality. Opera has been the best to me since it had the ad bar on top (although I gave it up for a while when I had a free ISP that also used an ad bar - ads eating half my screen vertically was a bit much on my 15" CRT.)

4. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

I personally have never bothered about add-ons, I only use whatever add-ons are necessary, such as Flash, Silverlight etc.

5. jocke92

jocke92 What's a Dremel?

I never restarts firefox so that doesn't matter except when there's an update or memory leak.

6. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

So, is this the reason that FF giving me message about a script running slow? (and it is a facebook's script) :-/ I've running these Opera 10.10 on my laptop for 21 days now (with 798 tabs open in 9 windows; checked from the parameter in the latest session file) and it is still runs okay (of course it feels a lil sluggish but not much). The memory footprint for Opera is 1.1 GB and FF is 390 MB (with 63 tabs open in 6 windows, feels a lot more sluggish than Opera o_O).

I always thought that if you need max compatibility + addons then Firefox is the way to go, but if you just need a good & fast browsers that will do all standard browsing + max comfort, then Opera is the way to go.

For me, I don't need addons so Opera is my main browsers but I do sometimes found a website that isn't fully compatible with Opera so I still use FF (very rare though, maybe 1 in 200 websites :). It just Opera is so much easier to work with and the menu is a lot more easier to navigate. It is also a lot faster when doing forward and backward in history.

7. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Fix the godamn memory leaks first... 3GB for a frigging browser? I wouldn't mind so much if I had scary amount of tabs open on content rich sites, but this was 4 tabs on forums. Okay, that is the worst I have seen on my system, but 1.5GB is not unusual.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    :eyebrow:
    Screenshot?

9. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

LOL and here I thought using up 1.1 GB for 798 tabs is bad :p

10. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

And that would be you, I don't have anything like this.... maybe 350k for 25 tabs or so. :eyebrow:

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I've moved from firefox on my laptop simply because it takes abut 10-20 times as long to load as chrome does. :duh:

12. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

I have used FF4,IE8 and Chrome12 ..
    Fastest of these for me is Chrome12 with out any hesitation.Older FF versions were good but newer versions are too slow. Now people say IE 9 is good.Gotta try that..

13. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

IE is like a bullet magnet in a urban combat zone. (there's a reference to the movie "Black Hawk Down" in there somewhere)

14. Torin

Torin What's a Dremel?

Shame Firefox 4 seems unpolished slow at times loads glitches and crashes easily for me if I use google beta crashes FF4 but use ask runs fine till load page have reload page to load the page styles Chrome seems be new Step to smooth nicely finished with speed Browser.

Tags: Add Tags