1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD OCZ Vertex 2 dead (RANT) and some ideas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 22 Apr 2011.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Yeah, pretty much.

Purchased on Monday, arrived Tuesday and ran until Thursday, kid you not!

Wednesday it was treated to the new 1.33 firmware, which is mean't to fix issues.

Basic description of events, used my laptop at work, was fine then all good, switched it off at the end of lunch. Drove home a few hours later to switch it on to only be greeted with the BIOS failing to see the drive. Tried an external USB interface to access it, result no luck.

Basically the firmware has bricked a full 24 hours after an update and slammed it into 'engineering mode'.

Utter failure OCZ, utter failure on your behalf. Half a*ssed development and your still ripping us off!

I refuse to believe its only fix is to be RMA'd, surely the online communities are big enough now that someone knows a fix.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

well you might be able to reflash the firmware if you want to open it up and void your warranty. the thing is it you'd need a special cable to reflash over jtag. also there are only solder points for the jtag connection, no headers. so you'd have to solder on the pcb. if you're comfortable with that, have a go. if not you'll need to rma it like other mortals.

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Seriously you're gonna spend time trying to find a fix? You're braver than I am. I'd be RMA'ing that puppy asap.

4. ATramel

ATramel What's a Dremel?

I purchased one of these about 4 months ago that did the exact same thing to me. Worst part is that it was part of a RAID 0 and I lost the whole volume - my fault there, I know.

Anyway, the reason I am commenting is that I was able to get the drive working again - eventually.

First thing I did was submit for an RMA with OCZ because I was convinced it was dead.

I had already done all the things you mention, tried different SATA port, tried two other computers, tried a SATA/IDE to USB adapter to connect externally... nothing worked...

Eventually I got frustrated and let the drive sit for about 24 hours, during which time I was furious with OCZ (mine lasted less than a week).
    The following day I tried the USB adapter method again - nothing showed up in windows explorer, nothing in the disk management console. As a last ditch effort I started the device manager and selected to scan for new hardware. Believe it or not, it found "Disk Drive" - and that's it. I couldn't format it, couldn't partition it, nothing - Windows couldn't even tell what the drive really was, other than "Disk Drive" :idea:

The drive showed up in the disk management console, but was not enabled, and I could not do ANYTHING with it to enable it.
    Next thing I did was install it back in a desktop as a secondary drive on the SATA controller.

When I booted the machine up to the primary drive I was able to install the OCZ software and flash the drive with an updated firmware.
    Ever since I did the update, I have not had a single problem with the drive - and it is right back, irresponsibly, in a RAID 0 array on my "enthusiast" system.

All of this may be coincidence, and none of it may work for you, but it was just what I encountered so I thought it wouldn't hurt to share.
    Man was I frustrated when this thing went south almost immediately :wallbash:

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its been sat on the side for about a week now, so might give it a tickle.

Problem is a friend at work bought the drives (one for me and him), and I paid him. I've been on holiday since last Thursday and was curious as to a potential fix.