1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage What size SSD do you have?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by penryn 2 hertz, 25 Apr 2011.

1. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

120GB OCZ Vertex 2 3.5"
    Works a treat. However I will get a Vertex 3 in the near future. Well, as soon as I've saved enough for a new graphics card (GTX 570 more than likely). I've just spent £550 on a new case and water cooling so the funds are a bit lowly at the moment

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

80GB Intel X25-M G2

80G, to my surprise, is plenty enough. There is currently 30GB left on it with a full windows install (windows itself + applications) and UT2k4. I can't put my whole Steam folder onto it so I don't know how beneficial it would be but I did split my steam folders at some point using symbolic links and the loading times weren't really increased for most games. The only reason ut2k4 is on the SSD is because it "deserves it" (as it "this game is special to me"). Plus, for most multiplayer games, it's pointless to load first because you have to wait for the others to arrive before the game starts anyway. My games are on my older HDD (500GB hitachi disk, nothing special) and I'm still always the first to load because of the i7

3. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

64GB C300. If it wasn't for Steam I would say that is more than enough for my needs. I usually play one or two games max, but like to have most of my titles on the hard drive so the Steam folder is relegated to the F3

4. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

My file server has a 60gb Vertex 2 as a boot drive, and my gaming machine has a 120gb Vertex 2, was pondering a cheaper drive for a laptop but probably a waste of cash...

5. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

I just bought my very first SSD, the Crucial M4 128GB version. should be a huge step up from my current ageing system :)

6. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

So just to be clear, using this technique I could have my base steam install on a SDD with my most frequently played games, and then redirect the rest of the games onto my HDD? Cause that would be great.

I'm about ready to take the plunge and get one, just not sure when the best time to hop onto the bandwagon is. 120GB Vertex 3 might well be it though :)

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  7. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

I have a Vertex 2 64gb, but I haven't installed the OS on it as of yet. QQ, no idea about the speed and my current hdd is close to dying, making mechanical noise like mad.

8. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

Yes but it is a bit of a work every time you install a new game as it would first be dl to the ssd.

9. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

This is why I do it in reverse as I have too many in my library. Steam was installed to the traditional HDD so all game downloads go there, and then you can move just one or more games to the SSD.

Steam Mover helps to make this all quicker and easier too: http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Toploaded likes this.
  10. Aliff

Aliff What's a Dremel?

I have 2 Corsair F60 SSD in Raid 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Ah thanks for that link. Yeah, guess I'll do the same as that, seems to make more sense for those of use with many gigs of games installed.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Intel X-25M 160GB.

Kind of surprised I'm the first one in the thread with this puppy! Very nice being able to have Windows, Skype, Firefox and Steam+games all on an SSD. It's not immune to the size limitations as all my Steam games would easily go over 160GB by themselves, but there's certainly more headroom than a lot of other drives.

13. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

I have a 128 GB samsung, but I never used over 50Gb of it.

14. TehKrak3n

TehKrak3n What's a Dremel?

60gb ocz vertex 2e

gonna upgrade to a 120gb ocz vertex 3 on next build this year

15. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Thing is, most games don't have epic load times. The only games I have that do, would get installed on the ssd, otherwise it goes on an f3 so hey. :lol:

16. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

vertex 3

120 GB Vertex 3 - screaming fast, but filling up fast however, I'm down to 50 gigs of space with no HDD as standby!!

17. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Intel X-25M G2 160gb

Great drive, well into its second year

18. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

Crucial C300 128GB. :thumb: