1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i would do like this:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    chop some of the vertical space off by however high your hdd space is, move the hdd up parellel to the rads in a vertical stack more fans on the opposite side of the hdds to pull the exhaust out. mount disks this way you could use common hotswap backplane as well.
    also i like your gtx560 block concept. i hope the actual ek block looks that good. i keep wondering what thier delay is.

2. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

I am digging your design man, but shouldn't this be under planning?

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks. Yes everything is planned :D ... I'm turning, moving, staking boxes inside the case to find the best way to fit them while keeping nice air flow and having all cable routed and hidden.

That's kind of a mindstorm game :wallbash:. Also, I don't know yet if I'll use a market bay or a home made one. Lots of drawing, sketches on paper, then SU when I have a better idea.

Thanks again to everyone for your support and advises :dremel:.

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Hmmm, i'm not so sure i really dig the new layout, i really liked it when you had the vertical motherboard. Still loving the design though :D

In this new layout, you may want to concider putting the PSU above the rads to improve cable management options.

5. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Dude your whole idea awesome!There's some ridiculous amounts of cooling for such a small case, but that's all the more reason for loving your design!

Personally I would have made it lower as some people have pointed out here, or have it support an insane amount of hard drives. But that's just me, I think your design works for you, after all you design it for your needs ;)

6. GuilleAcoustic

I do understand you feelings and I am myself still wondering which one is the best.

With the vertical design, which is almost complete, I ended up with the same watercooling ability, 6 x 3.5" HDD. The case is 20mm deeper but almost 100mm lower. But it was really really packed and I feared it to be inefficient with cable management. I have a pic at home, I'll post it if yuo want.

The new design is taller (620mm, but I'll shrink it a little when everything will be modeled, hoping something around 580mm vs 540mm with the vertical mobo design), but it has a smaller base (290mm x 290mm footprint, vs 320mm x 300mm with the vertical one). This one can also fit 6 x hotswap HDD and since it is less packed, the pump is back into the watercooling tray.

EDIT : ... and I think I can fit 2x 5.25" bay in the new design (not sure about full size, but fan controller will fit :lol: )

EDIT2 : I'll make a render with both rev1 and rev2 side by side to have a better idea

Last edited: 20 Apr 2011
  7. GuilleAcoustic

Here is an early work I had in mind for the HDD hotswap bay :

[​IMG]

HDDs will be mounted on slidable tray, parallel to the radiators. A lock will allow to plug / unplug the backplane connector by just pulling / pushing it.

- 1: pull the lock to slide the backplane connector
    - 2: slide the HDD inside
    - 3: push the lock to plug the backplane connector

I still have to moddel the sliding mechanism for the lock, the backplane and the HDD. But the idea is here.

EDIT : ZOMG, I must have been tired when I designed this ! A rod + piston like design would be so much easier to build :wallbash:

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  8. GuilleAcoustic

Hi mates,

well, tonight's the night. I finally made up my mind and came to the final design. While reading the Phobya contest thread, I saw 2 words : Revodrive X2. That what the OMG of the year :duh:.

The HDD's problem is no more as there's no more HDD. I was considering buying a synology NAS, so I only need a SSD. I already have a USB DVD (I use DvDs twice a year).

I'll be using a revodrive X2 and here is the final result (innards). But be prepared, it shrank a lot. Size is now : 299mm (W) x 313mm (D) x 408mm (H) .... this is more a cube than a monolith now, but I'm happy with the result.

This is not shown on the following pics, but I'll use DQC to connect cooling and hardware chamber, the pump has a tee fitting with a DQC (not shown) to help filling and purging the system from the outside. All cable will be made to the exact required length (thanks detatchable 24 pins cable).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like the final design :D

Stay tuned :dremel:

Last edited: 22 Apr 2011
  9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i certainly do. you've come very close to the layout i went with on my current build. though my mobo is in the traditional ports towards back, and i only have 1 rad behind mobo... and full atx, but still about as small yours (330mm x330mm x280mm).
    definitely looking forward to actual building.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2011
  10. nathandanielmorris

nathandanielmorris What's a Dremel?

Wow, this looks great and a nice idea with the hotswap.

11. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Dude I love it! It's practically the design I've had in my head since I first thought of making a "slightly-bigger-than-the-phinix-nano-tower-mod" :hehe:

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What GCOFIELDD is referring to is project log rule #2: all project logs should contain pictures of work in progress (physical work, that is). Everything else is planning or dreaming.

They are great designs, but they belong in Modding for now.

EDIT: While you're at it, please feel free to upload some of your excellent component designs (GPU cards with waterblocks, rads etc.) to Jazzle's SketchUp Collection. ;)

Last edited: 23 Apr 2011
  13. GuilleAcoustic

All apologies, I didn't get the meaning of this sentence :wallbash:.

Sure, it'll be a pleasure to upload my sketchup files. I have a lot of fun moddeling things.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

They are awesome. And the computer designs are very practical but good-looking.

When you post some pics of work in progress, please let me know and we'll move the thread back to Project Logs. :)

15. Aliff

Aliff What's a Dremel?

Any update on this project? I like this casing.

16. GuilleAcoustic

I'm glad that you like the concept, thank you :D. Updates are incoming, just need a little more time. I was out for easter holiday this week end.

Stay tuned :dremel:

17. Aliff

Aliff What's a Dremel?

Will this case accommodate ATX size motherboard or just m-ATX? It will be better to make it compatible with ATX and backward compatible with m-ATX as majority of motherboard size is ATX.

Anyway, happy holiday and keep up the good work.

18. GuilleAcoustic

I'm sorry but I don't really need more than mATX board. Plus, I want to keep the size down.

If you want the full size version, the case I designed for the phobya contest can be shawn here :

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=205983&page=2

This can fit EATX board, 10 hdds and dual loop with up to two 480mm rad. The size is 320mm x 320mm x 640mm (w x d x h)

19. Aliff

Aliff What's a Dremel?

I see. From my culculation, ATX will not increase the size so much. Only the width of the case will increase to an extra 3 or 4 cm.

Anyway, can't wait for your next update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. GuilleAcoustic

I have some question about watercooling since this is my very first time at it.

I'm designing the cooling power chamber (i.e. pump, blablabla, ...) and I'd like to know if a reservoir is really mandatory ? Does it only make filling easier ? I'm thinking about purge system. Do you have any advise other ? I bet it should be in the lower point, but that's all I know.

Another thing, I saw filter system like the one from aquacomputer. Is it usefull or only eyecandy ?

[​IMG]