1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking GPU Overclock Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whindog, 29 Apr 2011.

1. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Yes i relise i should have put this in my other thread i started 5 min ago :(

But jsut a quick one. Im looking to OC my GTX 460 and am not sure what temps to expect or what is safe. I cant seem to find and max op temps anywhere.

Im also curious as to what you all use for testing you overclock. 3Dmark?? Or something different.
    Iv never OC'd a GPU before so im a little lacking in the knowledge department right now :(

All you tips and tricks are as always....much aprreciated.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I cannot help...

But I will use this thread too, for my 5870. Is it worth OC'ing? With the same concerns as stated above :)

Whindog - Sorry I cannot help :(

3. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

to test your temps you can use furmark andnot sure on temps tbh but i think you should a least get a 10% gain when ocin I'm but I'm sure someone will reply later abit early now.

4. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Well my GTX 260 runs from 55-80 degrees celsius with quite a big overclock, so expect a 460 to be a lot less than that. Most modern cards can reach the late 90's/early 100's before any damage is done.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

80C load is normal for graphics cards. Just remember that Furmark can give temps that you won't ever actually see. My Furmark temps are 15C higher than what I ever get while gaming.

6. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Should be able to OC your 460 to at least 800MHz GPU and 4000MHz for memory (1000MHz quad data rate). Temps should stay safe.
    Anything over 65-75*C at 100% load is getting high. What are you using to OC the card? I suggest MSI's Afterburner as 1) it allows you to apply a custom fan curve to get the fan blowing when it needs to, and be quiet wen it's idle. 2) comes with kompressor, which is MSI's version of furmark. 3) both are 100% free and work on most major brand cards.

I have a 460se running at 800/4000 peaking at 63*C full load, and about 54*C game load. (fans a little noisy at those temps but I set it that way, can't hear it over games anyway :) )

Whindog likes this.
  7. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Yeah im using Afterburner.

Ok so got it to 800Mhz Core, 4000Mhz mem pretty easy.

Tried to get 820, 4400. Ran perfectly fine with Kombuster, but went to run a 3DMark11 Benchmark. Crashed Instantly.

So backed it off to the 800, 4000 and ran 2 3dmark11 benchmarks with no worries. Max load temps were about 65-70 with an unchanged fan curve.

Ill take my 10% improvement for now. Not sure what you can do to get more out of the chip, without slaving away for a few hours gradually going up down up down. So Im happy with those numbers for now. Im not overly comfortable running it dead on to its max potential as I want setting for 24/7 use.

800, 4000. seems to be the way to go for my particular card. Thanks for the ref point slothy +rep for you ;)

8. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I ran furmark for my GTX 460 first at 815mhz for about 3 minutes, my temps are in the stats below 60c

[​IMG]

and again at 850mhz at 5 mins i was hitting just above 60c

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Apr 2011
  9. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I tested my temps using Kombustor and for gaming stability with 3Dmark vantage and crysis runs. It runs f@H most of the time and tops out at 68 C on a hot day.
    Voltage 1.87V(max without volt mod)
    Core/Shader 910/1820
    Memory 2000MHz for now as I don't see much point in raising the memory clock further.

[​IMG]

10. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Fan speed at 70% :jaw drop:

Is that thing not loud as a beast. Min got up to 60% and I wasnt really liking the noise.

Mind you I like silent systems.

910mhz is an insane OC.....I couldnt get mine thru a 3dMark11 test at 840. Might try again tonight thou.

Im in shock at that OC...

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Whindog do you have the dual fan Gigabyte GTX 460? In comparison to every other graphics card I've ever had that one is really quiet even at 70% fan speed! You won't find a quieter card for your money as far as I can tell for the performance they give.

I run a couple in SLI and in game they rarely go over 60 degrees but with FurMark the top card can easily go in to the 90 region. Mind you that is with increased voltage and overclock to match so hardly surprising! To be honest these are really good cards and given all the tests I've thrown at them, especially considering they're in a Fractal case, I'm quite happy with the temperatures.

I did find cleaning off the factory stock TIM and using some AS5 helped trim a few degrees off of my temperatures and also gave me piece of mind it was a proper application and not the usual ***** of TIM all graphics cards tend to ship with!

12. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Yeah I got the dual fan. Windforce is what the markerters call. 2 fans is what i call it :p

Afterburner wont let me play with voltages :(

Looks like im gonna have to stick to 800, 4000 (2000 in afterburner)

Not to shabby at all i guess. Althou its not 920 *still shaking head in disbelief*

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

At 70%, yeah it's loud, probably similar in noise to a fractal design 120 fan at full pelt. Still quieter than a DVD drive. It's an MSI cyclone OC so it's still much quieter than the stock cards.
    Temps at night stablise at around 55-56 C with the fan at 66%, which is actually much quieter, the noise only really ramps up at 68-70% and it's near silent at 50%. My 460 performs at the same level as a GTX 470(or comfortably faster in many games) since it's got 33% fewer CUDA cores, but a 50% higher core clock.

I can push my card to 930 core clock, which is a pretty tidy 38% overclock , but then the temps are really high at around 75-80 C when folding so at that point the fan noise is too much, even for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Apr 2011
  14. Suzuki

Suzuki What's a Dremel?

for afterburner to work (unlock voltage feature) you have to modify the config file,to put
    UnlockVoltageControl=1
    UnlockVoltageMonitoring=1
    to go further (more than 1.087 v till 1.2) you have to put a custom bios.
    it-s safe for tests only untill 1.1 v with stock cooling.

15. Number Six

Number Six What's a Dremel?

Check the "unlock voltage control" option in the BIOS. If that's not available, you simply need to upgrade to the latest version of afterburner. :D

I'm assuming that was meant to be 1.087. :D