Cases Choosing a case for the long haul

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pansophist, 5 May 2011.

1. Pansophist

Pansophist What's a Dremel?

So I'm looking into replacing the case I currently have (HAF 932) with a cleaner case and I need some help with the available options/decisions. I've been out of the loop for a year or two.

Budget is ~$400 USD, willing to spend a little more for the right case. I've always spent sub 200 on my cases, and I always end up replacing them after a year or two. Looking to keep this one and re use it for future ventures.

• I'm looking for the case to be relatively good at air cooling, but will eventually (whenever I do my next upgrade) be used for water cooling, and the pumps must be internal, not external - so room for those.
    • Going for the smooth, clean, appearance - part of the reason my HAF 932 is going away.
    • I'm looking for a minimum of 7 HDD interior bay slots.
    • Black interior, black exterior, and an optional side panel.
    • Excellent cable management would be ideal.
    • USB 3.0 front ports (at least 2)
    • Removable motherboard tray would be nice, not necessary.
    • Room for 2x large GPUs (again, for the future upgrade)

I was looking at a couple cases..
    Lian Li a71f looks good, has the hdd bays, appears roomy, but lacks usb 3.0 and a black interior.
    That led me to the Lian Li a77f, which has usb 3.0 but also has a silver interior instead of the black anodized. The front isn't as aesthetically pleasing either, but at least it appears more functional.
    The xigmatech elysium has nice specs, plenty of room, watercooling options, but could be a little less ugly, although it is a bit better than my HAF.

Anyway, I know I'm picky, and I'm open to compromise. Especially when things like a black interior can always be done (how much does anodizing cost?).

I'm just searching for a good starting point for a next case. Thanks for any advice.

2. cchr

cchr Minimodder

check out the lian li v2120.
    also, you can always go for a case that doesnt have usb 3.0 and just upgrade the i/o panel later. i think it might give you more options
    cheers

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Corsair Obsidian 800D?

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Coolermaster 840 CST is a good case as well.

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Silverstone FT02, very nice and clean looking with the vertical motherboard mount too. not sure you can get one thats black inside but the red looks pretty nice imo

if you go with lian li im sure you'll be happy too ofc

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I want to see you stuff two long graphic cards and a proper water cooling loop inside that case ;)

But yeah if he didn't mention WC, that would be my choice as well.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'm going to be a bit bias and say get the a71f, it's been a dream case of mine for a while. The looks are so clean and I like it soo much it gives me a softy in the underwear region