1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rage PC will include level editor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 May 2011.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

So games are only enjoyable if they come out quickly after being announced? So if ID hadn't announced Rage until now for instance, that would have magically made the game better? What a funny world you live in.

As for the engine being out of date - maybe in some cases, but ID always deliver on certain things. Doom 3's big innovation was a unified lighting system, which to my knowledge most game engines still can't do. The Rage engine is all about unique texturing, which I'm pretty sure is a first.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I happen to know the Unreal SDK has one of the most advanced DX11 engines. It has been upgraded radically. Results are very impressive. If Rage 3 can match that then well and good but I seriously doubt it. The nice thing is that the Unreal SDK is freely available now and new games companies are emerging to develop on that engine...

http://www.hawkengame.com/blog/media

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgS67BwPfFY&hd=1

I have always liked the Doom series but there comes a point where waiting year after year for a game gets rather boring. So often such games fail to justify the long development times. Doom 3 was great in terms of scare factor and the lighting effects looked great. The game was somewhat mediocre though.

3. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I also enjoyed it for the sheer fright factor, and for the escapism. I'd not played a game that immersed me so much as Doom 3 did, although playing with the lights out certainly helped.

4. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

Personally, I'm happy that they decided not to release Rage when the first previews were coming out about it. From everything I read, it was well behind current game design standards, and was probably going to flop. I got the impression it was also very near release, so the fact that ID's decided to hold off is a plus. Hopefully the game benefits from the extra time in development.

Say what you want about the company, but their engines are always a step forward in technology. Id used to be known for making above average games and superior gaming engines. I hope they can bring back some of their old magic.

Tags: Add Tags