1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Indie Developers talk 3D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 25 May 2011.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's not over nothing. 3D could be a huge industry, in many ways it already is, and like any indsutry it depends on people to buy it's products. It also requires signifcant investment from the consumer in many cases so people are going to want to know whever it will be a hit or a flop as no-one wants to spend £3000 on a 3D TV just to find that only very few channels ever support it.

Your point is true of any product but we have debates over them too for the same reasons.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Any tech that makes up to 20% of people possibly physically ill isn't going to go far.

Like it or not, 3D isn't going to be able to stay or become the mainstream. Far too many hurdles to its acceptance.

3. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Is that your final answer?

:nono:

3D in one form or another will be built into all TV's at some point in the future, just like surround sound. There isn't anything amazingly difficult behind it. You don't need a set-top box for it. It's a feature, just like surround sound. PS3 can do 3D, Xbox 360 is getting the ability. Then you get the console refresh. You think they will take the 3D feature out? Of course not. 3D is here to stay.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Without doubt the most intelligent response here. It seems you and I are surrounded by idiots who regard 3d as something utterly alien and abhorrent. I used to play games in 3d using Elsa Revelator, the games that were certified 3d compatible worked very well. Avatar 3d looks great in my view. I am shocked at the level of misinformation circulated by bit tech readers and it shows to go just how narrow minded people are.

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It's clear from the recent 3d features here at Bit Tech that many readers regard 3d as a sales gimmick and something that has no place being here. I've encountered this mentality some years ago when promoting body vibration systems and the use of Fresnel lenses to create immersive games. I think the masses are against anything that isn't standard issue pc hardware. I'm surprised they even accepted 3d sound.

These people seem to regard 3d as purely a sales gimmick that "failed before and now they're trying to sell it again". That couldn't be further from the truth. Stereoscopic hardware has been in development a long time and it will continue to grow and become more refined. It looks to me like there's a whole bunch of complainers out there who hate anything non-standard. I for one don't want a conventional gaming PC or multimedia experience. I've used body vibration systems for games, movies and music since the 80's, fresnel lenses and any hardware I can to increase the sense of realism.

6. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

These are probably the same people who scoff at anyone who doesn't run their games at minimum settings when playing multiplayer. What a fool they are for not getting that sweet 700 FPS advantage on their 60Hz monitor!

There will always be luddites and irrationals and shockingly you can find them in the most technology-focused markets.

I like to view this whole venemous anti-3D backlash as if they were angrily railing against the muddy, low-poly 3d rendering of the N64 in defense of the clean pixel art of the SNES. Yeah, you have a point, but at the same time you're being incredibly near-sighted by all your chanting "3D is a worthless gimmick, sprites forever!".

Last edited: 28 May 2011
  7. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

3D is optional. Entirely optional. Do you dispute that? Who pushing anything "down your throat"?

lol, PC gamers and their idiotic victim complexes. No, I'm not calling you idiotic as a person but your tiresome "WAAH 3D HAS WRONGED MEEEEE" victim complex is, as it's not based in reality whatsoever.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

All this anti-3d talk has made me want to buy a 3d monitor now. :) I am planning to buy a 3d HD camcorder anyway for 3 videography. The JVC 3d camcorder looks pretty good. A friend of mine bought a BenQ 3d monitor some months ago.

9. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Lol of course 3D is an option, doesn't mean I can't call it a useless gimmick that offers little to no enhancement to my cinema or gaming experience. For someone who is complaining about whining you are a doing a fair bit of whining yourself.

So why don't you continue to enjoy 3D as you obviously do and relax a little or maybe all that 3D has given you a headache

10. ObeyTheCreed

ObeyTheCreed What's a Dremel?

While I really couldn't care less about 3D and I do acknowledge the fact that 3D is entirely optional, the part that I hate about the 3D is that everyone is trying to make it work, and they are focusing on something that not a lot of people like and are continuing to dislike as it is being introduced more and more in games, TV, etc. I would rather the graphics and gaming industry work on something that would actually improve game quality even more than it already is, though I have no ideas on what that would be.

Tags: Add Tags