1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Quad monitor laptop setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 731|\|37, 5 Jun 2011.

1. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

Does anyone have one? Has anyone seen one? I know it cam be done, cinemassive has an expresscard video card that supports some absurd number of monitors if you're willing to sell your liver. Matrox's 2go boxes are in 2 and 3 setup configurations, but what I really want is just four quadrants of monitors above my laptop without paying thousands of dollars.

Regards

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

3. 731|\|37

I'm aware of those, but as I said they only come in twos and threes and I've found no information regarding daisy chaining them. Is there another company out there like Matrox?

Regards

4. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Also bare in mind that effectively the box will have a graphics card inside, I dont know how well it would perform for anything graphics intensive. Why do you need a laptop with four screens? It will no longer be very portable! 4 screen desktop setup is very easy.

5. 731|\|37

I'm a college student with only one machine that I want to be able to take to campus and to the lab that I work at as well as have access to it at home. I'm often doing many things on my laptop at home, especially MATLAB simulations while writing reports, reading datasheets, etc. In short: multitasking. Since I happen to have four 17 inch LCDs and two double monitor stands that I paid in total less than $10 for, I decided that I want to use them. :)

As to the internal graphics card, I don't believe the Matrox boxes do. From my understanding, they have a driver that recognizes the output port (whatever it may be) as a pair of displays each with a set resolution and outputs a signal twice the width that a single monitor wants and then the Matrox box splits it in half and outputs it to each screen. Now the cinemassive solution is a GPU that behaves like a multi-output video card that plugs in to the Expresscard slot which is why it is so expensive.

6. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Isn't the sensible solution to build a budget (old crossfire/sli) desktop and just connect your laptop with ethernet for files?