1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ocha, 5 Mar 2003.

1. ocha

ocha Minimodder

I know i know, i'll probably get flamed big style for this one but... I really like em and have often thought about getting one. They have come down a lot in price and i dont know seem just easier. What are your thoughts, please only constructive I know its a general pc based forum but there are some of us they traverse between the two interfaces.

G{u}ns

2. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

I'm not a mac guy myself, but honestly since I've gotten into graphic design (STARTING) and web design/development, I have considered it. They are still a tad too pricey for me though...so I doubt it.

The [H] forums are way more bias than bit-tech guys. I really don't care, it's your money, not mine.

I'd be interested to see what the rest of you have to say.

3. Jaz

Jaz Banned

tbh theres very little difference for gfx design between macs and pcs. if you have a PC stick with that

macs are just glorified lampshades

4. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Moving to Hardware :)

5. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

Only the iMac :)

I'm a mac guy, if you want to use a computer with no fuss, then macs are great, unlike windoze based PC's that seem to randomly mess up just to give you somthing to do/fix

Macs can't be modded much, the hardware can't be reconfigured as much as a PC, but then you realy don't need to.

6. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Banned

Good thing about macs, they are way faster when it comes to Graphic design etc.

and well they look sweet!

Ice if your online as it says can u please sign into msn i got to ask u something about splinter cell, cheers m8.

7. Jaz

Jaz Banned

the gfx speed can be disputed actually

8. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

ive played on both using lots of different stuff like 3d modeling graphics work and gaming and i couldnt see much difference in the speed / quality but this was a while ago

as for pcs randomly screwing up that only seems to happen to diy systems not branded ones (in my experience any way) and id get bored if there wasnt always something to fix :)

9. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

jeah...macs are more stable..i'm a "mac fan" also..though i have never owned one :D but i think, that as a workstation, i would buy a high-end pc and as a laptop an ibook or 12'' powerbook. Mac desktops are not so different(in speed) than pcs, other than the design, but mac laptops are from another world, a better one :rock: . really.. crystal clear displays, nice keyboards, great battery times and pretty lightweight(considering the performance, sure u can get a 1,6kg pc laptop, but it'll be only pIII 933 as a best option. but g4 867mhz powerbook[2kg] kicks it's ass with no problems ;) ) . so...just mu opinion :)

10. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Buy a mac for the prettiness then whack Gentoo for PPC on it :rock:

11. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Or just wait a while and get a new Mac built around an AMD/IBM CPU ;)
    Then we'll see some competition for windoze.

12. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I used a mac back in the G3/early G4 days when I was an art director. I didn't care for them going into it but became and admirer of them.

Jaz, you can debate the GFX performance all you want. The fact is, that portion of the market has propped up Mac's for the last decade or so. All graphics apps worth their salt (Adobe, Macromedia, Quark, etc) are written for macs first and ported for PC. It's not just the performance, they are packaged almost specifically for the graphics market. The way they handle fonts alone are a gem especially if you deal in the print layout market. The community of graphics user's is a powerful one to be a part of and you don't really get that on the PC side.

I don't have one personally because my work now doesn't stress graphics enough to justify the cost. PC's are the Jack of all Trades and master of none as opposed to Master of Graphic design like macs.

One thing I will say if you do decide to get one, Norton Utilities is a must have. At least when I was using OS8 on the G3. I had to run the maintenence about once a week to keep things running tip-top. Of course they are up to OSX and I don't know if it is that much of a survival item anymore.

13. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

one of the reasons the mac became widely accepted as the standard for graphics/ photography/ music production was because of the stability compared to os' such as 98 (which is really unstable :rolleyes: ). they also had all the software needed for these aplications and did run faster than pcs. nowadays a lot of these things are just not the case. pcs are just as stable as a mac and the software is almost identical. they are also a lot cheaper. i really cannot see a disadvantage or advantage over each other for using a mac or pc. macs are great machines and so are pcs.
    incidentally, there is a massive photo/publishing house starting up near my dads work (hes a photographer who uses macs) and they are building there entore system on pcs.

14. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

my supervisor at my old job (**** you *****)(ahem :D ) had a brand new G4 that would crash every week and it wasnt that fast compared to the pc i was working on. her dual 21" displays were cool, though. thats just what i know. a titanium notebook would be cool :rock:

applefritter has some cool modded macs on it

15. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

16. Camdyman

Camdyman What's a Dremel?

Dad runs the newish duel 867 g4. Im on a xp2000. My computer is theoritically faster, has more ram, a better g-card and so on. His burns mine in every department and is running a (i think) a radeon 7500 with a 22 inch and a 15 inch. Granted it cost like 3x what mine did, but it is more stable, faster, looks cool and has the new mac web browser (jaguar?) which nicely does away with explorer, its faster too.
    One of the biggest pluses is the flat panels apple does, they are way better than any others ive seen (who makes them?), cost is reasonable.... and unfortuunately only work there best on macs
    If i had the money id go the mac way...

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

im soooooo close to getting a 12" powerbook
    im really surprised how sheap it is as well, where else can you get that kind of speed and 60gb of hard drive on a laptop that size? SONY, where can you get all fo teh above for £1200? dunno about that one but that is why im getting one

ind it look sexy :clap:

i dont reckon id trust myself modding a laptop, too many non standard bits that would cost £££ to replace if a pranged them

18. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

this is exactly the question i've been asking myself for the past two days: mac or pc? i oringinally learned on an sc30, and those were the glory days. Solitaire all freakin night long, followed by a game of missles.

I recently got into video editing and, being fed up with the speed at which my t-bird 1.33 encodes mpeg2, i'm looking into a new computer.

the problem is this: macs are user friendly. most of us here at bit know the inner workings of a computer, and can fix them in most any situation. Is spending the extra money worth it if we know what we're doing?

Eddie: you said graphics progs are written on macs and ported. Does this include Premiere? I imgaine it would, but I'm just checking.

19. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

macs have their advantages and their disadvantages

advantage is that its a unix based OS, and OS10.2 is absurdly stable (my two towers are starting to rival linux distros)

their laptops are absolutely wonderful

the super drives are great and are quickly becoming the standard as well as wireless, blue tooth and fire wire

iPods 0wn j00

disadvantages are lack of software, and lack of pure speed....

though i wouldn't trade any of my apple laptops or workstations for a PC.... just too damn easy for me to use (not to mention my gf would shoot me... she loves macs)

20. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

Candyman: jaguar is the OS, was the codename for 10.2, it became a popular name for 10.2 so it stuck, and safari is apple browser, it's still in beta but it works real well.

eaterofpies: I've had one or two shop bought PCs, Compaq's, dells etc. all have triped up as much as any other windoze based PC :)

Adam: Debian PPC better :p