1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ Vertex 3 240GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Jun 2011.

1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Scan was selling the 64GB M4 for £86 the other day. As of this morning I am using one as a system drive... it's epicly fast. Also, there's plenty of space. So far I've installed Windows, various browsers and media players, Adobe Lightroom and League of Legends on it... that's 15GB used, I have 44GB free.

2. Tr1p0d

Tr1p0d What's a Dremel?

I bought the 240GB Vertex 3 on Sunday night (not yet arrived). Slightly concerned about this BSOD issue. I'm already running a OCZ Vertex 1 120GB as my main OS drive... looks like I'll be continuing to use that for a little bit yet. Pity as the V3 goes like stink looking at the numbers!

Curious with the value score on the review and the subsequent comment: "However, despite using the same amount of 25nm NAND as the 256GB Crucial M4, the Vertex 3 240GB costs £100 more"
    Is that true? I bought the V3 for £390 (with free delivery), and the cheapest Crucial M4 I could find (quickly, mind) was £330... £60 difference. Hardly the hyperbole the review seems to suggest.

3. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I went for the 512g M4 and a 256g C300.

Sadly with my ud9 mobo, i cant reach the top speeds anyway, so a vertex 3 would be wasted, as i dont plan on getting rid of ud9 for a while, unless i could guarantee a plug in card that would run it at its top speeds.

Then maybe i would purchase a small vertex 3 just to see what it can do.

4. mashles

mashles What's a Dremel?

ive had my vertex 3 for a few weeks now and the only issues i had were lock ups caused by intels LPM feature. Since i turned that off with the reg keys (google it) I have not had any issues, and its noticeably faster then tha Samsung PB22J I've had for a year or so.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

6. bothaus

bothaus What's a Dremel?

Stability may have more to do with the vendors. I have no problems with lappy or desktop OWC 6G 240GB. Working great with newer firmware. Primarily on Mac OS atm though. Maybe a Windows and Sandforce thing. Maybe native GC interferes with Trim. Maybe Corsair sucks.

7. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

So has anyone identified the problem with the Sandforce SSD's? No mention on Corsairs forum on what the issue is and i'm guessing OCZ are just ignoring it...???

8. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Costs more than my whole pc....

9. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'll just stick with my C300

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

What is the point of such a drive? I know a few people with more money than sense will love the bragging rights, but for the rest of us.... surely it doesn't make any difference if your drive does 250mb/s or 400mb/s?

I just want the price to come down on SSDs, and for more of the bugs to be worked out! :)

12. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Not that I'd buy this or any other OCZ product if it were the only one of its kind available on Earth, I certainly am glad that this, excellent, review shows my Crucial M4 256GB as the overall winner!

13. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Seems to be a bad year so far for investing in decent kit.......first Intel sandybridge chipsets and now sandforce SSD's.I'll stick with my trusty X58 and samsung F3 for a while yet.Perhaps companies are too keen to release new tech on to the market without properly testing it first?

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

So, there you go, 1% of users affected apparently.

15. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Thank God for that. Have my 120GB vertex 3 sitting at home waiting too be fitted. Doing it on friday. I fancy my 99% chance :)

16. ParadokS

ParadokS What's a Dremel?

1%?? what a laugh :D
    What are they basing that on? I think it's BS. Check the OCZ forum, more and more people everyday complaining about this issue.

They always give that excuse "of course there are only people with problems here. People who's drive work fine, don't come here and post "I'm one happy camper, everything works!".

Well, perhaps not everyone is posting because they see other people with same problem already posted, and they are just following the debate and waiting for a solution. Or, novice users who doesn't have a clue it is the SSD that is the culprit.. even people buying complete new systems. The random freezing/BSOD could be anything.. RAM/motherboard/faulty CPU..

At least they are offering customers full refunds if they so please (I am taking that offer, having tried to get this drive working for a few weeks). Intel 510 here i come!

Also, don't be blind sighted by the performance numbers of OCZ - they are nowhere NEAR real world performance, as the tests are done with the drive as secondary (NOT primary OS drive), and using ATTO and highly compressible data. Useless numbers in real world - hence why you also see people whining about speeds not meeting specs being quite dissapointed. Which is a shame... why market a drive using testing methods that are not relevant, just so you can say it's 70% faster, when in reality it's perhaps on par on just 10% faster? Well perhaps because they certainly can't rely on a reputation of stability and reliability.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

would like to see some 128gb review models instead of 256gb £500 for an ssd is borderline insane

18. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

Looking at the graphs, the Vertex 3 still looked to be one of the fastest SSDs, even with incompressible data. Also, what company would not put on the speeds that can be achieved in a best-case scenario? Unless all companies did it, it would make their SSDs look crap (to most people) in comparison.

19. ParadokS

ParadokS What's a Dremel?

That's the whole point of a hoax, no? To show unrealistic numbers in favour of your own product :)
    I don't believe a few real world percentage extra performance makes up for their stability/reliability problems.

20. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Running the 120GB Vertex 3 right now. Can't say I'm feeling it was worth £200 :(

Tags: Add Tags