1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google: Cloud data location isn't important

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 Jun 2011.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Hey, this just confirms how much I don't like cloud storage

2. leslie

leslie Just me!

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

"customer data is separated into chunks, each of which is replicated around worldwide redundant data centres."

I hope everyone understands the word replicated and redundant :).

4. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Hackers are going to love this cloud based system. Data mining all you can in one place.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Google's services have been cloud-based for a while now, I've yet to see anything really go down.

Google pride themselves on their infrastructure, they practically only have engineers on their payroll who get to do nothing but overengineer everything. I wouldn't doubt that they have one of the most secure networks in the commercial world currently just because of how overly complex and convoluted their stuff is.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

+1.

The NHS does nor allow any form of cloud storage on its PCs. Tricky when, like NHS employees increasingly do, you work across different Trusts, each with their own network. So you are forced to use memory sticks to carry your data around. But that can transmit viruses, see, and you can lose your memory stick with important patient data on it (even though no NHS employee has ever stored any patient data on a memory stick, because they actually have a brain). So the NHS allows only encrypted, passworded sticks. Which it then has to order, and then re-order because they ordered the wrong type, and then finds that each Trust uses a different type not allowed by other Trusts... And then there's the Trust laptops, some of which have been stolen in the past.

I tried to argue with various NHS IT departments that allowing cloud storage would be more logical. Nobody can lose something that is virtual on the Internet. It can still be encrypted. It can still be virus-scanned. It is free. But no, they don't like it because they can't be sure the data is stored in the UK, and that's how the government wants it. I mean, WTF? We're dealing with some research papers, service protocols, anonymous audit data, patient information leaflets etc. Not state secrets.

The technology is there, and it's sound. The only obstacle is people unable to shift their paradigms.

7. tcool93

tcool93 -----

One thing I have learned, is that just because any company (including Google) makes any kind of security claim, doesn't mean it true. It seems to happen a lot anymore that these companies get caught lieing.

Dropbox is just a recent example of it. Claiming their employees didn't have, or couldn't access user data, which later was proven a lie, and they are being sued over it.

I also disagree with the persons comment here that someone would have a higher risk having their data stored on their own computer. Well that is nonsense also. Fact is most hackers would target the biggest storage place they can, not single out some john doe.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Google store their data in my basement.

OH NO! o_O I said it! You must all die now!

10. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

Agreed, as the cloud storage stuff is designed to be accessed (with security checks, username, password etc), whereas peoples home computer's are (presumably) not set up to allow external access, and so need far more work to break in to.

Tags: Add Tags