1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Enermax MaxRevo 1350W Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 29 Jun 2011.

1. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Uhmmm. Epic fail on the price point. Seasonic-X series is my current range of choice (since I don't need some crazy mo-f**ker PSU) for future machines... :)

2. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

This.

3. John_T

John_T Minimodder

That's the whole reason I purposely stripped the VAT from our price: To be able to make a fair, like-for-like comparison.

What different tax rates different governments choose to levy on their electorates is beyond the scope of any company, but there is no good reason the 'before tax' prices are so different. It's profiteering, pure and simple.

I don't think that's a really fair comment to be honest - it's like you're blaming US citizens for getting a good deal. I sincerely doubt goods are sold at a loss over there, the companies still make good profits - they just look at us and see a cash cow ready to be milked. Like you & Lord-Vale3 said, we're just being ripped off.

Sorry if I dragged this slightly off topic, I just look at the quoted prices and the clear and obvious differences infuriate me.

It's not just Enermax, it's pretty much everyone. I just wish people over here would get more worked up over it - perhaps if everyone (media especially) ranted about it all the time something might actually happen. All that seems to happen at the moment is that people have a little grumble now and then and just cough it up anyway.

Hell, with a complacent attitude like that can you blame companies like Enermax for ripping us off?

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oi! Move over to the US if you really think the cost of a top-end PSU means so much :rolleyes:

Also: It's an international site, when the PSU hits Finland it's probably going to cost even more than in UK. So what? Life sucks and then you ****ing die. Suck it up, buy something else or just change the hobby.

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Well, that kind of misses the whole point. It's not just about a top end PSU, it's about pretty much everything electronic or software related we buy - and for no valid reason other than we let them get away with it.

Well that's a mature and considered response isn't it? Never mind the fact that I'm talking about UK prices (which other posters brought up before me) on a UK-based site with UK-based staff, your answer is: "So what? Life sucks and then you ****ing die."

Well done.

Just because you may get ripped off in Finland even more than we do here, we don't have to be happy about being ripped off ourselves. And no, I don't see that I should just shut up and take up gardening either. But thanks for the advice.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Indeed, that's true! Instead, you can be really upset on a forum. But yeah it's absolutely stupid flaming at this point. Have a lovely rest of the life, and sorry for saying what I think.

7. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

someone should at least take note of how compact this psu is... compare other psus of the same caliber such as the AX1200 which has the depth of 200mm which means it can't fit in some cases. such as the rv-03 and the ft-03 (both from silverstone) or mine (Lian Li PC-A04). This means you can sustain an overclocked processor, a powerful gpu or two...maybe four and a water cooling loop in a compact case.

P.S there has been a new psu released by corsair which is the replacement of the HX1000. It is the HX1050 and it is 20mm shorter than the predecessor.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
  8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Yeah, but I have to pay health insurance premiums that are way too high for crap care I receive, so let's call it a wash, shall we? :p

You mean you don't report and pay directly to the state? *Accusing finger* You, sir, are the reason your state is broke! For shame!

In all seriousness, though, I'll pay retail sales tax if I gotta have it right now...or the shipping would be more than the tax. I just picked up a fistful of SATA cables the other day at a physical store because Newegg was charging 4.99 w/ 1.99 freight. I think the .50 tax makes more sense (other than the wear and tear on the car to drive way the hell out to the suburbs. God forbid I should be able to get computer parts within the city limits of one of the 10 largest cities in the US.)

Back OT, though, lol, $300 for a PSU. And 1350W? How long before they need two power plugs that need to be plugged into 2 circuits? I know this isn't the highest-wattage PSU out there, but in a lot of cases, these seem to be more of an e-peen contest. Not taking into account the efficiency drop at low load. The average 775, 1156, 1155, AM3, non-SLI, non-CF system could probably get by on 450W or less. Another 100 for w/c, another 200 or less for CF/SLI, and we're still well under 1000.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So when are you guys going to review my Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU?
    Also you guys should show/tell us if the cables are all fully braided, as my AX1200W cables were very nicely finished, compared to my Silverstone Strider, which to be honest, looks like they rushed that job.

Cheers,

Simon.

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Well if enough people on the forums got upset about it then maybe bit-tech / CPC would decide to take up the cause and start highlighting the price difference in every review.

- Maybe if that proved popular with the readership all the other Dennis publications would decide to take up the issue too.
    - Maybe if all the Dennis publications were moaning about us being ripped off, and it was proving popular with their readers, then maybe other publications and websites would take up the cause as well.
    - Maybe the mainstream press, seeing all this great and popular fuss, might jump on the popular bandwagon.
    - Maybe if enough people tried then something might actually happen about it. (It worked for the Gurkhas).

I know for a fact that bugger all will happen if no-one gives a damn and everyone decides they'll just let someone else to try and sort it out.

But I'm sorry that you think me and the other people who care about it are being petty and shouldn't even talk about it. You can be as sarcastic and dismissive to me as you like, but if we don't talk about it on forums where the hell else are we going to talk about it? It's not like I can bring up the issue in my prime-time TV show. I think a forum attached to a large and respected publication is about the best place to do it...

11. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Besides, I like ranting about it - it gets it of my chest and makes me feel better! :)

12. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I know there is a mathematical system to the scoring but 88% is near as damn it is 9/10. Surely the overall score should reflect in some measure whether you would actually want to part with cash for it.

The thing whines, has terrible cable braiding and costs 300 quid.

Tags: Add Tags