1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Seeking new internet need help

Discussion in 'General' started by jamsand, 28 Jun 2011.

1. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Hi there story short the BT line in our area is corrupt but BT refuse to fix it as we're not in a city center (live in a town outside hamilton population probably about 30-40k so we're not important lol)

I'm aware Virgin use their own phoneline but area there any other companies that use their own line rather than rent the line from BT(example of this being O2)

Any help would b much appreciated :)

2. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

well there is sky but im not sure how reliable that is.

3. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Can I have one of those new internets too?

4. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Might well be wrong as I'm guessing, but don't all ADSL ISP's use the BT infrastructure? You may have to go down the cable route.

5. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Did a google, apparently sky also rent from bt (God damn monopoly here lol):(

O2(customer service varies depends who you get lol) are pretty well priced if you have decent BT line in the area specially if you on a contract wth then same with orange. :)

Quidco also do good deals with broadband might help in finding the new one lol

6. bnicholls195

bnicholls195 What's a Dremel?

I think you only have the choice of the BT infrastructure or the cable route. I guess you can wait for fibre optic to come round (may take a while though).

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

That was also my understanding.

Go cable mate, you'll never look back, as long as you don't buy the cheapest package.

8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

9. Bozwell

Bozwell What's a Dremel?

What makes you think it is broken? Does everyone in your area have the same problem? If you you really are a small community that would also imply you're a fair distance from an exchange. www.samknows.com should give you some idea how far if you put your postcode in.

I suspect that rather than being broken your line is just very long.

Thing is that even if it is broken changing to another ADSL provider would use exactly the same line, as others have already pointed out. And if you're in a small community I doubt Cable is going to be an option either as it is rarely available outside of towns and cities.

10. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Sam knows seems like an awesome site and yeh cable seems the only way to go going for the virgin 10mb/s with phone(cheap as i can dispite advice :/ sorry I'm poor lol) should upgrade to 30 later if i can though. I looked at it but minimum contract is 18 months which put me off with 10mb i can get 12 months.

Thanks for the help...Wow really not many options for the BT haters lol

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

LLU only refers to the hardware in the nearest exchange, FYI. If the telephone lines around you are buggered then LLU will not help.

Bear in mind, on 10Mbps, you have a 3 gig daily download cap which is regularly enforced. It's quite harsh. Ping will be decent though. That's during peak hours only though.

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Just had to point this out in another thread. there is no 3GB limit a day.

traffic management is used (10mb service assumed)

10am-3pm = 3GB limit
    4pm-9pm = 1.5GB limit
    9pm-9AM = UNLIMITED

so you could use 2.9GB between 10 and 3 then its reset and you can use upto 1.5GB then after 9pm download as much as you want.

ive had this service for several years and regularly download more than 3GB a day

13. lamboman

Ooops, I didn't quite read the OP properly. As everybody else has said, if the actual line is gone, then it doesn't matter, LLU or not, you will have the same problem. All providers run off your BT phone line, only the equipment in the exchange belongs to the provider when it comes to LLU.

Your only choice, if the situation is what it appears to be, is for you to go with cable, and if you are out in the middle of nowhere you will almost definitely not be able to get it. However, have you tried pushing BT to fix your line? Because at the minute, they're essentially saying, "no, you can't have internet access, whether from us or not, because we can't be bothered."

Sent from my Desire HD

14. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Virgin is NOT all it is cracked up to be tbh.

I have a 20mb line and dont use it much.

I doubt I go over 40 gigs usage a month.

So I think its totally unfair when I download a game on steam thats say 10-15gigs I get 2mb/s for the first 5 gigs then 500k a sec for the remaining 10gig of data.

Its a joke tbh it makes a 20mb line pointless unless your online when people who work are asleep.

Will be leaving them asap :)

15. lamboman

Are you on ADSL with Virgin? Because they are crap, but their cable is not too bad from what most say.

Sent from my Desire HD

16. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

No it is actually broken it's corroded and there is a crack in the lne so everytime we have bad rain the internet goes down and phoneline crackles. BT have admitted to this already but it's too expensive for them to justify fixing as it still functions without the rain just not as well thus the max speed i can get is 7MB/s(tested by O2 as we were on a 25MB/s package at the time)

17. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Go out at night, throw some washing line over the wire and pull it down, cut the wire then complain.

Just an idea, I do NOT suggest you take my advice.

18. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I don't download too often anyway I'd probably hit that if i was getting something off steam and for the i have scheduling programs i can use and leave it on overnight(thinking of a server for downloading but dunno if i can justify it atm anyway point at hand see their fair usage for peak times it does suck but i should be able to live with it)

if I can afford their XL package I can get 10GB which is like half a game atleast lol

19. Bozwell

Bozwell What's a Dremel?

Surely even BT aren't that bad!? If it was me I'd be looking into taking some other action. Maybe a letter to ofcom is required here? I'm pretty sure BT would be breaking one of their rules by refusing to fix a faulty line.

20. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Could always get a leased line. 20mb is £800/pcm or there about. Not sure if its economically viable.