1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 1Gbit Enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modsbywoz, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I'm currently building a server to support the whole house.

There will be 4 computers which will all have the ability to stream HD content throughout the house. However, all coming from one source in the loft.

With the server having one Gbit link to the network will this be enough?

If you think 1Gbit isn't up-to the task what network link would you suggest?

Cheers!

2. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Gigabit is easily enough for a few of high bitrate 1080p streams.

A Blu-ray is roughly 40Mbit/s and maxes at 54Mbit/s.

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Great, cheers!

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If you find 1 connection to be insufficient its not too difficult to add in a second nic and set up load balancing.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Agreed, although you should note it's (at least in my mind) highly unlikely you'll all be watching different 1080p content stored on the server simultaneously - and if you are; it's likely to be the drive that's not up to the task, rather than the gigabit connection!

TSB

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Most importantly you want a GOOD quality switch/router. Most cheap ones are ****.

/pimp

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

mikrotik: http://linitx.com/product/13133

don't know about wireless though

You get traffic shaping and all I believe. Use your original router as a bridge and you are away, providing you read up on your networking skills.

8. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Everything will be hooked up to a 24 Gigabit Switch which will be managed. This will link directly to the broadband modem. Wireless access point will be linked to the Gigabit switch so internally all connections will be Gigabit.

Also, HDD's will be on Raid which will allow them to have a throughput which can saturate the Gigabit Connection easily.

9. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

Bindi,
    i always respected your opinions when you worked for bit tech as they were mostly spot on. But have you got any reviews to support your claim, as that would fit in very nicely with my front room?

Edit: having read more ive seen and read the long list of awards..... My bad. Bindi have you any personal experience using it?

To answer the question my synology nas box streams 1080p content perfect to my wd hd streamer (which has a 100mbps connection, aslong as memory serves correctly)

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Impressive!

dazedandconfused - No I've not used it sorry I've only had a chat with the PM. The above switch is probably slightly faster in pure networking speed as the RT focuses on the dual-band wireless and easy setup as well as having a "2x faster" CPU. I've no idea how that compares to the switch above mind. If you don't need wireless, get the one above :)