1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding LINEAR how do i apply glue to bond acrylic when its in a corner clamp?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hydrogen18, 10 Mar 2003.

1. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

Ok linear I've read ure plexy FAQ, but im confused about how I would bond plexy if I have it in a corner clamp? I mean if the two pieces are shoved up against each other how do i apply the glue even If I am using a needle applicator?

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I take it your talking about a corner that you cannot take apart. (ie other corners are stuck)

how much flex you got on the plexi?

3. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

no just bonding 2 pieces together.

4. :: Phat ::

can you not loosen the clamp, and then apply the glue?

or get a hold of a seperate system, glue and activator, i've got a Cyanoacrylate (super glue) system here, but its bad on plexi cos it clouds.

5. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

wait, superglue will bond plexy? how strong? as strong as IPS weld on **** like linear used? strong enough to be used to make a case? and yeah i get what u r saying, as i have some superglue(gel)that bonds slowly and doesnt run. i need to get some corner clamps...

6. macroman

macroman The One

The trick is to not apply too much pressure. The clamp is just to gently hold the pieces together. The ips adhesive will run into the join to make a perfect bond due to capillary action. Loosen your grip ;)

7. Deflater Mouse

Deflater Mouse What's a Dremel?

Even if the pieces are tight, the solvent is pretty thin and will probably still flow into the joint. Just run the needle down the corner and watch through the side to see if its getting in along the whole edge.

8. linear

linear Minimodder

That's about it really. You can do a 'dry run' with water :lol: in the applicator if you aren't convinced, but this actually works.

9. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

"dry run" using water? that the biggest oxymoron I've ever heard!

but ok, now whats this about using cyanoacrylate to bond it?

10. linear

linear Minimodder

cyanoacrylate (super glue) will bond it, but the joint will look a bit foggy. It also may craze (get lotsa little cracks) somewhat over time.

11. :: Phat ::

if you do ever have to play with superglue, be blooming careful, you know it was developed to quickly stick wounds together, which is why it sticks to skin marvellously. Try and get a hold of a two level kit, glue and activator, this is true for any high strenght quick-set glue :)