1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Vertex 3 Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 11 Jul 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Fielding a little knowledge on the Vertex 3 SSD Firmware update as per this link...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_to...ex_3_Max_IOPS,_Agility_3,_and_Solid_3_series/

I have a 240GB Vertex 3 as a game drive which is no problem to update. However my Windows 7 install is on my 120GB Vertex 3 and as quoted from the above link 'Updating the firmware from the toolbox is not supported when Windows is running off the drive you are trying to update'. So if I take this drive out of my system and place it in my Coolermaster 690II Sata Dock, can the firmware be updated this route with no ill effect? Since the OCZ website doesn't describe it as a destructive update I'm curious if moving the drive between systems could upset anything?

No problems at the moment so I don't intend to update, but I am interested in how this would work for an OS drive all the same.

2. Elmacho

Elmacho What's a Dremel?

You can move it to another system. You will need to go into diskpart and offline the drive as it will still register as a primary drive even in the other system. Once you offline the drive you will then be able to update the firmware via the OCZ Toolbox.

3. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

You should be ok to plug it into a different system to do the update, but I would want to make a full backup image of the drive anyway, in case anything goes wrong. I guess the only likely problem would be if you had a power cut midway through the update process.

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Yeah, as it's simpler, i do my V2s in this machine by temporarily unplugging the DVD writer.

...though you can use a Windows PE CD/USB or (i think) a Linux boot CD/USB.

Otherwise, unless you are having BSOD issues with your V3, i would really recommend not updating it for the sake of it yet - simply that they're focussing on sorting out the tiny percentage (fraction of a percent) of people who are having odd problems & so atm the speeds are slower on the later f/ws than the earlier ones.

Once they're dealt with, they'll then be sorting the speed out again.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's why man created the UPS! :D

No problems PocketDemon, like you suggest I'll wait it out until a firmware upgrade yields some benefit.

6. glan

glan What's a Dremel?

I updated the firmware of my Agility 3 yesterday with the Linux boot CD (I was getting the Random freezes after prolonged use :( ). It took about 5 mins; and that included the downloading and burning the ISO to CD. The GUI of the Linux boot is easy to follow too. I hit a hitch where it said my Agility was locked, but OCZ says to disconnect the power to the drive (not the sata connection) for 10 seconds, then try again. easy.

you can find the boot CD ISO HERE

(I have windows installed on my agility, so this was my only option)

7. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I did mine at the weekend and updated it from 1.6 to 1.8 as described by glan previously. Took me quite a while eventually realising I was running in IDE mode. Switched it to AHCI and updated it no problem (had to do the unlock as glan described.)