1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice HTPC BUILD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vexy1987, 16 Jul 2011.

1. vexy1987

vexy1987 What's a Dremel?

Hey Chaps,

I opened a thread earlier in the month regarding a new build, however my circumstances have changed.

Budget:
    £450 - £500 for PC + £400 for TV display.

Main uses of intended build:

I will be moving home in a few months, and will be living in a smallish flat. This PC is going to be permanently seated by the TV as sadly I won't have room for a desk any more. The PC will be used for a little gaming but only games suitable for playing on the couch with a gaming pad of sorts, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this too as this is something I need to look into.

Parts required:

I can zombie from my current system the following parts.

Zotac GTX 560 Ti AMP!
    OCZ 240GB Vertex 3
    1TB WD Cav Black
    OCZ GameExtreme 650W PSU (will this fit in a mircoATX profile case)
    Usual mouse and keyboard peripherals.

Starting off I need a small case, I don't like the expense or the appearance of HTPC cases, coupled with cooling performance worries I felt that a Fractcal Arc Mini might be better suited to my needs as I plan on installing an aftermarket CPU cooler. Any recommnedations on what would fit, I have concerns some larger ones might not fit in the arc mini.

I also need advice on a great preforming Mobo I was looking at the Asus P8P67-M PRO which wiould pair quite nicely with the i5 2500k I was planning on buying.

Last but perhaps most importantly can anyone recommed a freeview HD tuner? not sure how much room i will have after installing my GFX & wireless lan card on the inside of the case so im probably looking for a small or discreet external device.

Monitor resolution:
    I will be running at full 1080p on a 42 inch tv.

Storage requirements:

I will be storing full quality DVDs and Blurays on my PC but already own multiple drives, see above

Will you be overclocking: yes

Any comments or tweaks let me know!

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

What about a silverstone fto3 if you are willing to pay the price of that+slot loading drive. Do you need a blu ray drive?

3. vexy1987

I hadn't thought about a bluray drive, however as I only own one blu ray disk atm its not a priority! Thats a beautiful case and wouldnt look out of place next to a huge TV either, I'll consider it if I have some of my budget left over :D

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

It's just that being a htpc you might end up watching blu rays. And a slimline bluray drive will be pretty expensive.

5. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I'm all for HTPCs, but have you considered a PS3 with Play TV? If your going to be treating your PC like a console, you may be better off with a console. Also you get to splash more cash on a TV.

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Or even cheaper a xbox :)

7. vexy1987

I like the flexibility of a PC as well as the ability to rip my content to drives, as storage space in my flat will be an issue I cant have stacks of dvd cases. My library is pretty extensive and think that a NAS box would be pointless in a flat of its size.

8. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Ah, fair enough. I assumed you had a laptop that could be used for ripping and stuff. My htpc is only a htpc so I run off the i3's GPU which is fine for bluray, but not great for games. As far as tv tuner goes, I have no complaints from my Kworld internal card (also has a low profile bracket).

Cheaper but not as good for media. PS3 gets 4OD, iplayer, itv player, web browser and Dlan. Xbox gets the ability to be a noisy media centre extender.

9. vexy1987

Yeah sadly no laptop, yet! I will look into that internal tuner, I just realised I would be able to connect to the net via ethernet cable so I would have space for the tuner.

So my last big question stands, can anyone recommend a cpu cooler, I fear the dark rock advance is too big for the arc mini case by at least 1mm which is a crying shame, what should i look at instead? I am intending to o/c but i want a quiet machine so the reference coolers are a no go. Anyone got a arc mini case that can comment, or at least a similarly sized case.

10. vexy1987