1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer freeze and constant beep

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by a.tunnard, 26 Jul 2011.

1. a.tunnard

a.tunnard What's a Dremel?

Hi

Ive had this problem when I'm in Battlefield Bad Company 2 (not tried anything else) and the temperatures are around CPU:50 and GPU:75 (roughly) and suddenly my whole computer will stop responding and there's a constant beep, this beep comes from the speakers, and must be restarted to do anything.

Not sure if its related but the day before this started I reinstalled sound drivers.

I have checked the registry and I am doing a virus scan over night, I will do a RAM test when the scan is complete also a disk fragmentation just in case.

Any other ideas? Or what the problem is?

My components:
    CPU: i7 920 @3.6GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 570
    RAM: DDR3 6GB
    MoBo: Asus P6T deluxe v2
    PSU: FSP 700 watt (i know :rolleyes: )
    Windows 7 64bit

Everything is about 3 years old other than the GPU which I got at Christmas.

Any Help would be much appreciated, thank you for your time.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Normally if Nvidia GPUs start screaming it's because they are not getting enough juice and from the lock ups and freezing you're getting the PSU would be the first thing I would check. If it's coming from the PC speakers it could be a dodgy driver.

3. a.tunnard

Ive done the virus scan, memtest and no errors showed up. I will order the power supply and play with lower setting for now and see if it makes a difference.

I found this in the error log, this matches the time that i have had the errors http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11391064/errorlog.png

Which power supply would be most reliable?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-057-OC
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-120-AN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w...s-85-eff-sli-eps-12v-80-plus-bronze-140mm-fan

4. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

I'd go with the Corsair one from Scan.
    I'm not sure it is the PSU - it is borderline though.
    So if you've got the money then try it.

Have you tried cleaning out your drivers with Drivesweeper in Safe mode?
    If your using the 275 drivers there are problem with BFBC2 with those.
    This might be your problem.
    There is meant to be some new Nvidias coming out this week.
    Try the older 270.61 version to see if that helps.

5. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Doesn't look like temps, and if you didn't get RAM errors there's not much else to try except maybe drivers like oatey said. I'm not 100% on the PSU either, but if you can afford it an upgrade wouldn't hurt at all.

6. a.tunnard

7. oatey4519

I'd buy the highest you can afford so it future proofs you.
    Some will say no to this
    Or 1000w

8. a.tunnard

Well it just crashed again, so the power supply is all that's left, I've ordered a Corsair 850watt and should arrive tomorrow so can see if its fixed then.
    Unless someone has any more ideas?

I'll also try different games eg crysis 2 (should use enough power? :p )

Last edited: 27 Jul 2011
  9. oatey4519

Sounds like it then.. :thumb:

10. OCJunkie

Think you narrowed it down pretty good. I always recommend getting the most you can afford at the time, as you can never have too much only too little.

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I would say a good PSU is the most important component in your rig. If it fails things will stop working and at worst a power over load could fry everything and I totally agree with going for a powerful on which gives a good upgrade path should you choose to add a 2nd GPU.

12. OCJunkie

I used to regard PSUs as an inconvenience but over the years I've developed respect and admiration for the variation in quality and the crucial role it fills, as everything else in the system depends on it. You could have a $2,000 rig but without proper power it won't run properly, or at all. A good quality unit should last you years and years, when other components have come and gone, it will still be there humming along.

13. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Actually before you go upgrading the PSU it could still be software related.

My previous W7 install would be fine on every game except CoD4 - a strange DirectX error froze the entire OS up and got a horrible screeching noise until I hard reset it. Clean W7 install fixed it (as always).

I would still recommend a decent PSU though ;)

14. a.tunnard

Well the new PSU is in, first time I've replaced one and all seems good so far.

I haven't had the problem since I put the order in, lol, so I'm not sure what the problem is/was as I've had one crash since changing drivers but it may be some of the game settings such as bloom? the settings were resetting each time i lunched the game so i changed it to a read only file which may have fixed it?

Any way thanks for the help :D