1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Sharing secondary calendars in Outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by OneSeventeen, 21 Sep 2006.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Here's a story about Jack and Jill.

Jack has 2 main roles at work, so he has 2 calendars.
    Jack is very organized.
    Jack's first calendar is called "Calendar".
    Jack's second calendar is called "Secondary Calendar".

Jack is not very creative.

Jill needs access to "Secondary Calendar"
    Jill asks Jack, and Jack agrees.

Jack right-clicks "Secondary Calendar" and chooses "sharing"
    Jack then adds Jill as an "Owner" to "Secondary Calendar"

Jill then clicks on "Open Shared Calendar" on her computer, and types in "Jack" for the username. (remember, Jack is not creative, so his username is also Jack)

Outlook tells Jill "Unable to display the folder. The Calendar folder could not be found."

To test things out, Jack shares "Calendar" in the exact same way he shared "Secondary Calendar" (remember, Jack is not creative, so he does not try anything different this time)

Jill once again clicks "Open Shared Calendar" and types in "Jack" as the username, and "Calendar" is immediately popped into her Outlook, just as it should be.

Neither Jack nor Jill know why they can't share "Secondary Calendar."

Can you help Jack and Jill out? (without making fun of the story)

2. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

There is a known issue with using OWA and then trying to share a Calendar folder. If you are using 2000, get the latest updates on both machines and see if that helps.

If you are up to date, then try taking the client out of cache mode. Also, delete the ost file (backup first!) and restart Outlook. Finally, move the mailbox back to the message store on the exchange server, or if allthe above have alreday been done, create a new store.

This is a known issue since 98 and has not been fixed.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2006
  3. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

OneSeventeen, your users aren't using Outlook Web Access (OWA), are they? I thought I remembered you saying they weren't.

It sounds more like an Exchange issue to me, although I couldn't tell you where to start troubleshooting it.

4. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Okay, according to howto-outlook.com this is what should have happend:

Jack wants to share "Secondary Calendar" to Jill.
    Jack right-clicks on "Secondary Calendar" and adds Jill as an Owner in the "permissions" tab.
    Jack then right-clicks on the overall "Mailbox - Jack" header at the very top of the folder list and selects "properties"
    Jack then adds Jill, and checks "folder visible"

Jill then goes into her Outlook and clicks Tools>Email Accounts, selects "View or change existing email accounts", clicks next, selects her exchange account, and clicks "change", then clicks "More Settings" then clicks "Advanced", then adds "Jack" to her "Open these additional mailboxes" list, then restarts outlook.

Jill can now see "Mailbox - Jack" in her list, or can simply go to calendar view and check off any of his calendars that she has read access to.

Bah!!!

Why can't Jill just click "Open Shared Calendar" and choose "Secondary Calendar" from Jack's account?

Boo outlook.

5. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Because then Jack and Jill wouldn't hire you to fix it!

Glad you've got it sorted.

6. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

How about some info. What version of Outlook and Exchange are you using? How about service packs or spam filters? Is anyone using OWA? I share folders all over our network and have not had your issues.

Give us the details man! Throw us a frickin bone.

7. joshuafrfld701

joshuafrfld701 What's a Dremel?

There is a known issue with using OWA and then trying to share a Calendar folder. If you are using 2000, get the latest updates on both machines and see if that helps.

8. dhughes

dhughes What's a Dremel?

This still appears in Outlook 2003

Thank you soo soo much for this, without this post I would never have been able to work this out :)

but it appears the problem still appears in Outlook 2003 and it wouldn't surprise me if it appears in 2007/10...

When a user creates a second mailbox to share, the method to pick up standard shared mailbox’s is done using the Global address list so only the standard initial calendar shows up.

The user has to grant permission to their own mailbox to be views in Outlook by the other users and also grant permission to the calendar,

with a lot of restarting of the creating users outlook and a physical addition of the creators mailbox into the viewers mailbox, the secondary calendar will eventually show up on the viewers My calendar sections.

I'm not even sure if that makes any sense.
    :read::clap:

9. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

What you described made sense, but I'm not sure if you were asking a question or not.

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

The reason you lot are getting confused is because Delegate Access and Shared Access are two different things. Delegation is much more integrated with someone's account, and is added via the mail options. Shared Access is the whole "open folder" option from within Outlook itself.

Two very similar options that are often confused with each other.

Also, holy thread necromancy, Batman! :D

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i have my outlook connected to 2 different exchange servers, and have 4 different calendars, using delegation.

Tags: